15" or 17" laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Aug 17, 2006.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Is there a noticable difference in the screen size/resolutions of the machine?

I can see where the bigger screen could come in handy (doing mathematica and CAD work), but I need this laptop to come to class with me. As long as it fits in my bookbag, I don't care about portability. Does the 17" model look out of place in a classroom?

I am missing my 20" iMac -- I have a 14" iBook G4 now.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From the pretty brief time I've spent with a 17" PowerBook, I'd say the 15" model is far more manageable in class. Of course, I use a 12" iBook so clearly I get by with far less resolution/screen size than either of these.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

last year i used a 15" powerbook in class. let's just say, i just bought a 13.3" macbook for this year

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

What made the 15" too big && are you majoring in the hard sciences?

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it wasn't real bad, but just more of a hassle carrying around and some desks were small or i have to hav it on my lap. but you could manage with a 15"....it's just that smaller is better in my opinion when you carry it around a lot

computer information systems

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If you're doing CAD work, get the 17'', especially if you "don't care about portability." The res and screen size will definitely be advantageous with a 17'' compared to a 15''.

7. ascender macrumors 68000

I think it totally depends on the portability issue and what you're going to be using it for. The 17" is an amazing screen with the resolutions to match, but don't be fooled, it is a damn big piece of kit to carry around.