15" OR 17" Poll, Part 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by patriotn11, Apr 25, 2004.

1. patriotn11 macrumors member

Hello All,

I am sitting here with my finger on the "all systems go" Place Order button at the apple website,
    :confused: Opinion Poll: I know bragging rights would be the 17" loaded, now I would also want practicality. I want either of the two, loaded.
    I have congigured both loaded and found onl a $100.00 price differance.

15" G4/1.5, ati 9700128, 80g 5400, 512ram 1 slot,1280x854 resolution Supdrv

17" G4/1.5, ati 9700128, 80g 5400, 512ram 1 slot,1440x900 resolution Supdrv

Used as follows, at most travel 1 time a year, couch loafer(alot), surfin net, book writting, gaming and just having fun with my PB, oh yes, I will be a virgin switcher ;)

So all that aside, besided the great size of the 17", will it be to akward overall, over the 15" and will the 17" size have a shorter lifspan over the 15"

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP LAUNCHING THE RED ALERT BUTTON :eek:

michael from San Antonio :)

2. JasonL macrumors regular

You sound like a 17" PB kind of guy to me. I went with the 15 but that's because portability is pretty important to me as I use my PB both in school and at work. You, on the other hand, don't need it to be incredibly portable and would probably enjoy the extra real estate. $100 price difference? That doesn't sound right, but I haven't configured them myself.

Also, if you have the coin to buy a loaded PB, have you considered just getting a good (G5) PM and maybe a cheap iBook if you really need to take a computer somewhere with you? Gaming, in particular, would really be much better on one of those.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever Mac you decide on.

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Go the 17"!

Gives you an extra inch of screen height and 1.75" of width. Very useful for writing, web browsing, dvds and pictures...oh and cool factor

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I second that. Besides, the 15 inchers haven't been scoring too well. Bigger, in this case, is better! :D

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Go for the 17" If you'll only be traveling <1 a year, its not like a big hassel to take your computer on an airplan/bus/train/ect. If you can't decide between the two, you could always make a cardboard cut-out of a 15" and a 17" and try carrying it around with you all day. Thats what I did with my iPod. ;)

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

if the price is that close, and you're not traveling much, go for the 17" no doubt. it's just so... cool.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think you know which one you really want. Trust yourself.

If not. Flip a coin!

I vote for 17 though.

8. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I went with the PB 17 1.33 and couln't be happier. I travel all the time with no problems on planes whatsoever. The extra weight vs the 15 is negligable esp. when carrying it in a backpack - Brentahaven - may bag of choice

9. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

Dinner is in the Oven.............

:D thanks ALL,

I ordered my 17" loaded today and went to crucial.com and order a 512ram to make it a 1 gig dream machine, 80g/hd 5400, 128mb ati 9700, .mac bundle, apple extended warrenty, then I went to http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT500.aspx and ordered my screen cloth, display cushions and tool kit to include a new BT-500 Bluetooth Optical 3-Button Mouse. I figure If I went all the way, I better get a/c and power windows :D

I called Apple and they threw in a Epson c84 printer for $50.00 and 2day shipping for free.

I am so freakin excited

Thanks again :)

10. JasonL macrumors regular

Wow, that is going to be one sweet system. Congrats!

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Good choice, I saw this late, but the 17 is the best laptop Apple have ever made, I've had mine since they were released, and it's still the best computer for day to day stuff, and I do lug it across London every day, which really isn't bad at all... :cool:

You'll love it when it arrives.

12. denm316 macrumors 6502

You sound like someone who wants a 17, if you aint gonna travel go for the 17. As for me the 15 is the way to go.