15 or 17" poll

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by patriotn11, Apr 22, 2004.

1. patriotn11 macrumors member

OK, this is it. :confused:

15" loaded

or

17" loaded

I don't travel but like to loaf on couch and work.

Advice, I'm buying tomm.

I've stated in past post, I am going to write kids books, so I'll be using 3d drawing and of course mac office.

I love games, dvd watching, music, photo's and I want to make my own website.

PS All this and I'll be a full blown switcher, I will use my XP Pro 3gig fro latest gamig, doom3, halflife 2, farcry, and my FAV Battle Field Vietnam....

2. reaper macrumors 6502

17"...

If portability isn't a real issue, then go for the 17". I am thinking of doing the same, and since it's only a couple hundred more it seems to me that it's definitely worth it. Especially with what you are going to do with your new PB, I would think the extra screen real estate would be a worthwhile investment.

- reaper

3. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I have the 17" and it's very portable. For some reason, it looks bigger in the store. When you get it home and start using it, it's not a big deal to carry around. If you got the $$, definitely go for the 17" - it turns heads too! :D

5. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

17"!!!! I LOVE MY 17!!! i take it everywhere...its very portable

6. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

keep advise coming

hey carl,

How long have you had it, is the keyboard firm and solid, does it close evenly, can you prevent keymarks on screen.

Is the screen bright, clear and crisp, how do games and apps and dvd's look.

one last question,

don't get mad but, :eek:

is the screen better then dells, ibm top screens.

any and all advise is wanted and thankfull since I am going to be a first time Apple/Mac user

Thank every one, the more advise the better. :D

Michael
    san antonio, texas

7. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

15" are shipping faster it seems....

17" are just bigger......

I ordered a 17" fully loaded. Est. ship on or before 4/27. :)

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I'm debating the same thing... 15" or 17".

Or, save myself a boatload of cash and get a tricked out eMac with 160 gig hard drive for $1000 less. :eek:

Let us know what you decide. :)

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

get the 17"... you'll love it. got mine refurb (used to have Ti15).

it's freakin' awsome!

peace.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think I'd ever buy a 17". Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine, but I wouldn't want to carry around something that big. I've got a 15" that I love, and sometimes I even wish I had bought a 12".

Honestly though, you can't go wrong either way.

11. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

my parents got the 15 for me, but if you have the money i would go with the 17. the screen is pretty incredible.

12. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all....this is it!

Thanks Steven and all,

It's drivien me nutts,
    :eek:

I want them all, 15" 12" 17"

I'm like a kid in a candy store for the first time. :eek:

it's a tug-a-war between the 15" and 17" :confused:

with student discount they would be:
    PowerBook 1.5GHz (17" TFT) $2,589.00
    APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - $239.00
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory
    80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
    SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    AirPort Extreme Card
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    .Mac Promotional Bundle $69.95
    . $2,897.95

PowerBook 1.5GHz (15.2" TFT) $2,479.00
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory
    80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    AirPort Extreme Card APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit $239.00
    .Mac Promotional Bundle $69.95
    $2,787.95

13. goodwill macrumors regular

17 Inches all the way-

Who says its not portable? A laptop case to begin with is already between 17 and 20 inches!!

The 17in weighs 6.9 pounds. I can't believe someone could have an issue with portability with the 17in honestly. Do I even need to begin on its slim, unparalled size? I know firsthand about portability, its so simple and so delightful taking my 17in powerbook everywhere. Not only is it easy, I have extra space to pack an extra outfit too in my laptop case, hey I could even pack lunch.

15in are perfect too don't get me wrong, but if youre comparing the two, choosing the 17in over the 15 in is easy. Very easy. Its one thing to be debating between a 12in and 15in. I would personally say, the 15in would be the easiest decision between the two. Nonetheless, I think for performance and both elegance, the 17in wins out hands down. Theres no nice laptop out there than the 17in Apple G4 Powerbook, thats a fact. If you want a 15in you could easily find an equally impressive laptop in a pc for a far lower cost with the G4's performance, that is also a fact.

I personally feel the 17in is much wiser. If you want to talk portability issues, talk about the difference between a 17in Powerbook and a G5 Powermac

14. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

thanks

The main reason I like the 17" is that it has 2 latches that close the laptop and the 15" has one, I noticed in the store the 15" had a gap on one side when closed, any others have problems with the gap?

the 17" has the 2 lasps, any gap problem 17" owners?
    :confused:
    Also, dumb questions, does the 17" suck more batt juice, and will the 17" screen being any less briter or long term warr issue :confused:

15. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i wouldnt really want a 17" either... i never do anything on my laptop that would demand that kind of space... do you really want the lunchtray baking on your lap while your using it???

having said that... i would also never really want a 12"... i checked them out in the store and my eyes were already going batty...

right now my 15" tibook is perfect for me... someday the powerbook g5 will replace it... but not til my desktop goes g5...

im in no real hurry for "next tuesday"

anyways... if you dont need the monster 17", nor the bragging rights... the 15" is a very comfortable machine to use and carry...

16. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Assuming your a student(from the specs:it said edu discount) and you getting this laptop for college, I recomend you getting the 3 year AppleCare. PowerBooks aren't the strongest thing out there, and it's especially smart to get and extended warente.

btw, GO FOR THE 17"!!!

17. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks musicpyrite...........

I want to thank you and all others,

Musicpyrite,

my next question is, where is there a good mac/gamers website and after reading your profile info, I have found a piece of mind finally, concerning will my powerbook play games.

My favorite is BF 1942 Vietnam :eek: , I can't stop playing, I'm going crazy with this game, if I had to pick between my wife and the game, it would not be fair! :eek:

Thanks all