15" PB - 4200 vs. 5400 HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by m-dogg, Mar 17, 2004.

1. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Hello - I'm looking to get a 15" PB and I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $125 on the 5400 HD.

Currently, I tend to use my [old] PC for internet, word/excel, and managing mp3s (about 30 GB worth) and digital pics (taken w/ 5 megapixel camera).

I don't currently do anything with digital video (other than short clips taken w/ my camera) but I do plan to get the superdrive model and play around with iLife, which means I can see myself getting into it more down the road. Oh, I'll probalby mess around with Garageband, too.

With that said, I'm curious what the thoughts are of other users - Based on my current and projected future uses, can I save some extra money up front, or will I regret it? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Personally, I'd buy a 7200 RPM (not from Apple obviously) for about $200 rather than the 5400. But you will undoubtedly feel quite a difference with 5400 vs 4200, at least for most CPU/Disk intensive tasks.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The problem with that is that you will void the Apple warranty. At least that's what I was told by an Applecare representative, and by two other separate Apple representatives. And that makes sense--the warranty covers what Apple builds and supports.

I was in the same position and got the 5400 RPM drive.

Best,

Bob

4. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Well obviously Apple won't cover the HD should it fail but it would come with a 3 year warranty anyways.

So I've heard you can get the HD installed and not void the warranty. Meaning that then you could sell the old HD and probably recoup that difference in price or more.

5. m-dogg thread starter macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Hmmm.....I just looked at the specs from the desktop PC I bought 4 years ago and that was a 7200. Granted I'm going from a desktop to a laptop, but I'm surprised 5400 is the fasted HD available - I think I have to get the 5400 - I'm afraid the 4200 might be too noticable a difference from my current setup...

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have the 5400 RPM drive and it's wicked fast compared to any HD I've ever had before.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I have the 4200 and can't say I notice any shortcomings. The most common advantage I've heard touted for the 5400 is "it'll boot up faster", but with OS X being based on BSD there is rarely any reason to shut down your laptop completely or reboot. I just put it to sleep between sessions, after shutting down my programs.

Frankly if you have speed-intensive needs the 5400 isn't going to do the trick - you'll probably want to buy a speedy external Firewire drive.

I will say that I have noticed speed improvements since I upped my RAM to 1 gig last week. So if you're looking for worthwhile upgrades, I'd say definitely go for the 1 SoDIMM option for the memory (default is 512MB on two sticks).

Anyway, that's my $0.02US...

8. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

how difficult is it to change the hard drive? it was way simple on my dell, but how is it on a powerbook?

9. powerofthekiwi macrumors member

Upgrading a powerbook hard drive is no easy task - although it is possible, but if you do it yourself you WILL void your apple warranty - I don't know if you had someone else do it if it would only be void on the hard drive - better ask an apple rep on that.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/PB_G4_15_AL_takeapart/AL_PB_G4_take-apart.html

This link may help you get an idea of what you'd have to do

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I specifically asked about whether the entire PB warranty would be voided by swapping the HD, the answer was yes. And as much as I hate to say it, that is a reasonable position--Apple tests, develops, and then warrants only certain drives--the ones they are positive will not cause problems. Whether or not other drives would also not cause problems is irrelevant as far as the Apple warranty goes.

Best,

Bob