15" PB Combo - Apple Confusing me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joshua_msu, Feb 4, 2005.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I would like to purchase a 15" PB combo. The only problem is, Apple is making it really hard for me to do. You see, I want to upgrade the video memory to 128, but for some reason, you can only do that on the SD model. I dont really think it is worth the extra 300 dollars for the SD model, when all you get is a SD and .17 GHz more, and you would still need to pay for the video upgrade.

Anyways, does anyone know why Apple does this? It cant be a question of size. Is it supply issues? Will Apple maybe allow the upgrade later if it really is supply issues?

Thanks for the input.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Select the Super Drive model and then remove the DVD burner from the BTO options and it removes $150 from the price :)

3. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Well that works, however, it still comes out to $250 more over the 15" Combo, with all being extra is the 1.67 vs. 1.5 and the 128 vs. 64 video card. I guess I might have to bite the bullet. I just wish I could get the 1.5 Ghz with the 128 video card, and save $150. Oh well, that is Apple.

4. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I guess 1 more question, do you think Apple may offer the option later on the 15" PB Combo?

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I doubt it. This is probably just one more way to differentiate between the 2 15" models. I'd suggest going with the SuperDrive since having the DVD ±R/W would be nice.