15" PB expansion suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gdprof27, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gdprof27 macrumors member

gdprof27

Hey gang,

Hope this thread is in the right place.

I was hoping the community here could give me suggestions and personal choices as it pertains to the PC Card slot on my Powerbook.

I don't think I will have the need to add any Firewire or USB hubs and my Airport card is doing it's job very well.

What other choices are there to make use of this great feature of the PB?

Thanks in advance for any help or clever comments.

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've only bought two cards: a memory card reader and a 3G data card for semi-useful net access when on the move. As I use neither very often, I've removed the PCMCIA criteria from would be new laptop specs.

Which is why if Apple release a new 13.3" Powerbook with similar gfx specs to a new 15", I'm going back to the smaller model!

3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Memory card reader... I never even thought of that.

Are they expensive? Do they sit in the computer, flush with the side?

I always thought that stupid little slot was useless.

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Yep, totally flush. Has had its moments, and I can see it could be useful if you had a home PC with a card reader too (make use of 4GB flash drives) or for the photographer on the go (I have a collegue who bought a 15" because of the card slot so she can edit and reload in the field), but considering I use it for reading files from the camera (can be done with a USB cable) and my pocket PC (can be done via a cradle) its deffo not exactly a dealmaker for me.
    Still at only £9.99 thanks to ebay its not exactly a huge waste of cash!