15" PB now or Wait for the G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iBrockingBEATS, Sep 21, 2004.

1. iBrockingBEATS macrumors newbie

Im taking the plunge from PC's to Apple for the first time, and i cant wait, but as everyone realises the G5 is around the corner (around what corner, i have no idea) i wondered if anyone on here knew (ball park) of the release date of a G5 Powerbook

would i be throwing my money away snapping up a current model for 1500 if it will be completely overshadowed by June next yr?

any thoughts on my dilemma much appreciated.

2. acceber macrumors regular

I hear that they won't be out 'till at least January 2005. It's a decision you have to make assertively and nobody else can tell whether you should or not. If you need a Mac like, right now, get the PowerBook G4. If you can afford to wait a bit, do so.

I guess the dilemma would be, feeling all grumpy with yourself to have not waited for the G5 when it comes out if you do decide to buy the G4 now. The question is whether you can get over it and happily use your G4 while the raves about the G5's are happening next year, or whenever they come out (they could completely surprise us).

You can also always sell your G4 and use it carefully, then sell it when the G5 comes out.

Happy thinking, trying, and buying!

P.S. Go to an Apple store and try out the G4 PowerBooks for yourself if you haven't done so yet. It'll help you get a sense of what the G4 is like and what the G5 might be like.

3. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Just order the PB now. You'll always be waiting if you're gonna wait for the "new" thing that's "right around the corner".

4. Enigma macrumors member

I've got a 15" 1.5Ghz PB currently sitting somewhere in Europe waiting for Apple/TNT to get off their lazy a*ses and get it to me... but I think that even if a Powerbook G5 is announced in January (seeming unlikely), it'll be a couple of months before they ship probably, and even then, it's a Revision A model, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of teething problems.

I needed a machine to replace my aging Wintel box, and to allow me to do Java/XML/PHP/MySQL development on, and the Powerbook seemed to fit the bill.

If you need it now, buy it, if you don't really need it, just remember that there will always be something better/faster out in 6 months.

5. iBrockingBEATS thread starter macrumors newbie

All fair pts in your responses, to which i was expecting.

i only 'need' a laptop in as much that i want one! like a a kid in a candy store.

do PBs have a reasonable second hand value?

6. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Check eBay but I would definitely say yes. The metal case PB's tend to be very popular. Especially if you pick up the 1.5Ghz with a Superdrive...

7. Enigma macrumors member

Am I the only person that gets emotionally attached to their computers and never sells them? My current desktop is over 5 years old, but I won't sell/scrap it once my powerbook arrives, it'll just be demoted to the bedroom to be used occasionally (or turned into a server to compliment my other Linux box).

I've never sold an old computer, I'd feel too guilty.

(believe it or not, I'm not actually a girl...)

8. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Honestly I am the same way. I get emotionally attached to inanimate objects. I always thought I was weird. I'm the same way about cars...

9. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

You should go to an Apple store and check out the 15" (and 17") PB. Try out some programs (Word, iTunes, iMovie). Have fun!

If you can wait, then wait for the new model to come out in Jan 2005. My bet is that a dual G4 PB will be out then. Or maybe the G5 (one thread showed a pic of it, eventhough it's questionable).

I bought my 15" PB recently with the 20 GB iPod (Cram and Jam deal, just love the iPod!). If there weren't any rebate, I would have waited next year.

10. Nooon macrumors newbie

Doesn't anyone think there'll be a revision in the next couple of weeks?

11. papatime macrumors newbie

yeaa

with the powerbook ipod deal ending on the 26th, i believe they are trying to get rid of their powerbook stock. perhaps an upgrade by the end of the month?

12. Aaon macrumors 6502

I also get very attached to my machines. I still have my old desktop machine chugging along on my desk, though I never use it. I also have my older 166Mhz Thinkpad from 1997 on a shelf, I just couldn't bring myself to part with it. It sits next to my Newton 110.

Aah, fond memories of days gone by. :p

Aaron

13. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I don't think they'd release new Powerbooks immediately after schools start ... they'd have a lot of angry kids on their hands.

Maybe November, at the earliest.

14. Enigma macrumors member

Ok, only machine I've ever chucked out was an old 486 66Mhz Thinkpad where the screen didn't work, the hard disk was buggered, and well, it was generally useless.

Still felt guilty though...

15. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Do it... Do it... Do it... Buy it now... Do it... Do it... Do it...

16. iBrockingBEATS thread starter macrumors newbie

although obviously the G5 will have better power, memory, processor,

anyone know of any likely drastic differences, is it a new OS for example?

im just trying to justify buying a PB this wk!

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Don't wait for the G5 PB if you want one now. You'll be waiting a looooong time.

The dual G4 isn't even a production chip yet, is it?

Yes it is small, but the size of the new G5 iMac (and the fact that there are already laptop components in it just to get it down to that size) suggests that Apple still has a little ways to go before they can put a G5 in a PB.

IMHO, we're looking at the WWDC (next summer) before any announcement is possible, then another few months to actually ship. I bet we don't get an announcement until Paris next year, or even MWSF 2006.

But then again, what the heck do I know, anyway? :rolleyes:

18. panda macrumors regular

rpb rev

i quite agree. it is my feeling too that pb g5 is a looong way off. like summer next year at the earliest.

i do however feel, based on previous pb and ibook rev dates (see mf buyer's guide), that a revision is coming pretty soon. like almost certainly before christmas, but probably sooner, within in the next 2 months.

i am waiting too and will buy the next revision (15pb), but expect that the next revision will be g4 again.

oh yeah... and what do i know? :)

19. iBrockingBEATS thread starter macrumors newbie

what revisions are likely to be made??

i do realise that no one knows for sure, but going on past revisions? what could i expect?

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

21. USC_Gamecock macrumors member

Here's a justification ... if they DO come out with a new PB in January '05, just think of the problems the revA PB's had on this current model, and like a car, I don't like buying stuff when if first comes out, they often have problems and recalls ... like I said this is simply a justification ... just get it, you will be much happier, and waiting stinks (I have to wait the whole weekend until my PB gets here, it's in Alaska right now) ... add in waiting for something you're not sure about, and it will drive you crazy.

22. USC_Gamecock macrumors member

Well, I just ordered my first Mac this week, but after doing a lot of research and reading like you're doing now, for two weeks for I made the purchase ... I read somewhere that a new Video card the 9800 Mobility maybe in the new revision, that's just what I heard in a forum like this one ...

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I would have to agree, in fact after my experiences, I don't know that I'd ever buy a Rev. A notebook again. Three repairs a finally one replacement later...no thank you! As much as I like to be on the bleeding edge, when it comes to Apple, I'd rather go with "tried and true."

24. JasonL macrumors regular

The G5 could be quite a ways off. Early this year people were saying it would be out by now and look at what happened. Look at where waiting for the G5 would have gotten you.

The next revision may very well be G4 based, and that is still plenty powerful for the vast majority of us.

Look at G4 1.5GHz PB benchmarks in comparison to those by the new G5 iMac. The iMac scores are a bit better overall, but certainly aren't leaps and bounds better. In some areas the PBs still beat the iMac.

The PBs went to 1.5GHz processors right after I bought mine (1.25GHz) and it didn't bother me at all because I needed the computer and it (quite capably) did whatever I asked of it.

If you can stand to wait a little while, fine; but don't hold your breath for the G5.