15" PB Won't work w/o Battery and other related stuff?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Baldanzi, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Baldanzi macrumors member

Apr 28, 2005
    With all of this recall news ...I went to the apple site. It suggests that you remove the battery and use only ac power until the new battery arrives - yeah right. I'll risk it:)

This brings up a point I've been meaning to try and fix:

-My powerbook will not work without the battery installed - even when plugged in to the ac adaptor?

-My Powerbook will not charge the battery while I am using it. The charge percentage never goes down - but it does not charge at all while in use.

-It does charge fine while off or in sleep mode.

-Power adaptor never goes to green? Its amber when it is charging but goes off when the PB is fully charged.

-I have reset the PMU (not recently) and it did not help.

-in system profiler is states something to the effect of: AC adaptor can charge battery - (no). The exact wording may be wrong...but you get the drift.

This has been going on for a while - apple's site is no help. I just returned from an over-seas assignment and these probelms were not critical so I did not want try and deal with applecare overseas. Now that I'm home I want to fix this...the battery recall reminded me of the problem.
  2. acidity macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Even I am having a strange problem with the charger. I bought my MacBook like 2 weeks ago.

Suddenly, today it went off even though the battery is charged 100%. When I connect from the AC point, it is always amber and not green. When I disconnect the source at the laptop, the machine will not start even though the battery is charged 100% but as soon as I connect it to the laptop it starts. Its happening everytime so even though I have 100%, I cant work without connecting to AC.

In between once I could do it and the System Profiler was showing the following info AC Power Charger:

Connected: Yes (Even though it was connected to the AC source)
    Charging: No (Which is correct)

What is wrong? Did anybody had this same problem earlier?
  3. acidity macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Update: Its now working suddenly even after putting off the charger but the incident one hour before is giving me creeps....whats wrong?

Another Update: The problem seems to be back. Now it again goes off if I am not connected to the AC charger. In this case the white light at bottom-right keeps blinking at that moment.

Should I restart MacBook? I can do it now but I would like to know what is the problem? Is it a battery problem?