15" PBook v. 12" PBook w/ Studio Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Elenita, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Elenita macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I've convinced my best friend, who has been drooling over my 15" Powerbook, to ditch her aging PC and get a Mac. The only question now is what model she should buy.

I've been using my 15"PBook primarily (but not exclusively) as a desktop replacement. She, on the other hand, tends to be on the road a bit more, and will probably do a good deal of work (Word, Excel, etc) while travelling. She's tempted by the portability of the 12" PBook, but wants more screen space when she's at home. She (and I, because I'm her primary source of Mac-related information) have been going back and forth the 15" and a 12" with a flat screen display (probably a 17", though not necessarily from Apple) for home.

Anyone else been in this situation? If so, what decision did you make and why?

Thanks in advance!

2. imbriumink macrumors newbie

I would tell her to get a 12" Pbook and then get a 17" Samsung 172n or something. The monitor is cheaper and more compatible with other computers in the future whether they be Mac or PC. It's the setup I use. I think it would be overkill to get a 15" Pbook just to use word and excel, especially at the expense of portability.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If she needs portability more, then I'd have to say 12", as well. It just makes it that much easier to be mobile and if she'd get an external monitor, anyway, then the extra screen size of a 15" suddenly loses its advantage.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

5. beefcake macrumors 6502

6. Elenita thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for all the replies! It looks like she's getting a 12" w/ external monitor.

Now the hard thing will be making her wait until Oct. 24 :)

Again, thanks for all your help.