15" Powerbook Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jdogg707, May 5, 2004.

1. jdogg707 macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2004
    Title says it all, what's the battery life been on the new 15.2" PB's? 1.5GHZ, 512MB DDR333, 80GB 5400RPM, 128MB 9700, Combo Drive.

2. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    Don't have one myself, but I started a thread about this a couple days back. Info I got was that it would last about 2-2.5 hours with moderate usage and could go up to 3 hours if you cut back a little (i.e., dim the lcd, don't use the optical drive, etc.).

All in all I found it to be pretty good and, given that the batteries are tiny and so is the charger, it's not a big deal to carry one or both of those with you.

- reaper
  3. blawson macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2004
    My Experience

I've had mine since monday, and it's been pretty good. I get about 3-3.5 hours with the airport card on, while only performing simple surfing and such. With it off, I've seen it push 4 hrs. It's been pretty satisfactory considering. Of course, running the combo drive tends to do a really good job of killing the batter life.
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    i get about three hours. it goes up a lot if you turn off wifi, dim the screen, and don't you the hard drive intensively.
  5. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    same here, and I didn't even calibrate my battery yet (shhhhhh....it's recharging right now).

p.s. not the 1.5 ghz but whatever.
  6. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    hey all,

I am getting about 3 - 3.5 hours surfing via airport.

I don't think I calibrated the battery properly though. You are supposed to charge it and then let it go until the powerbook shuts down. You then plug the power adapter in and let is charge fully. It goes to sleep first before it shuts down automatically. Apparently you are to wait until it shuts down BEFORE you plug the adapter in :eek:

oh well, i may calibrate it again tomorrow

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I really really really don't think you have to wait until your computer shuts down automatically before charging again.

All you need to do is:

1. Charge it fully the first time.
    2. Use it until your PB goes to sleep automatically.
    3. Begin charging again.

You don't need to wait until the entire computer shuts down before recharging again, although I don't think it would do any harm. You may actually get more life out of it (maybe another 3 minutes? ;) ), but most people couldn't be arsed.
  8. blawson macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2004
    I'd be careful about calibrating it too often. From what I've heard on these forums, and the ever popular reference site www.batteryuniversity.com, lithium ion batteries don't like being discharged all the way often. People seem to recommend doing it once every couple months.