15'' Powerbook, I'm torn...like everyone else

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Veritas&Equitas, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Ok. I know this has been beaten to death...but when it comes to the lovely aluminum machine, I can't help but try to weigh all my options.
    I'm torn. I am a senior in college, and I will be attending law school next fall. I've heard all the arguments and all the theories in regards to the Mactel processors. I've been an avid PC user all my life, and have 2 mid-upper range gaming rigs and a decent Dell laptop (Inspiron 5150, p4 3.06, 512 mb, 5200Go) which I've had for over a year. I'm looking at buying a 15'' Powerbook off ebay, simply b/c I've fallen in love with my roommate's (ease of use, mobility, sexiness factor) That's not to say I'm making "the switch." I'd simply like it for email, Word, internet browsing, dvd watching, and maybe some photoshop editing as well, but not hardcore editing. I'm looking at the 15'' Powerbook, with
    1.67 ghz (or 1.5, I guess there isn't that big of a performance difference)
    1.5 gb memory
    128 mb video card (Radeon 9700)
    Superdrive (or Combo drive, really doesn't make a difference)

With these specs, I can find something on ebay usually around $1400-1500 or so. Should I go ahead and take the plunge? If not, for my needs, should I go with lesser specs? (i.e. 1.5 ghz cpu, 1 gig of memory, 64 mb gpu, combo drive) I know the first rev pb's usually aren't the greatest, and Apple probably won't switch to the Meron at least 6 months after the first Yonah, so dual-core is at least a year away. I'd like to unload my Dell laptop, and spot the $500-600 for a Powerbook. Do you guys think it's wise or not? How soon does everyone really think the x86 will be out, and will it make that big of a difference for my usage? Thank you for your response!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All that is known for sure is that the Intel Mac will begin June 2006. With the switchover being complete in 2007. My preference would be to wait for the Rev. B.

A 15" PowerBook should fit your needs very well. I would recommend that you look at a refurb, that way you will get a full one year warranty and have AppleCare available.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm in the same situation basically, and i think i'm gonna get a new one now. just have to decide between a 12" and 15". so i say, if you want one now, why wait?

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I agree with wdlove, that 15" should suit you for the things you listed.

Rev A is best avoided, especially since they're moving to a new arch.

5. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

You could also look at the iBook. Similar specs, and you could get one for brand new with that price range. I was looking at PBs, but opted for the iBook, and an very glad that I did.

6. thairs macrumors member

Re:

Like everyone else has stated, you should go ahead and get a 15" pb now, preferrably a refurb. which is still under warranty. I won't even consider getting a mactel powerbook until atleast the 2nd revision. The powerbook's now are basically as stable and refined as they can be, and damn fine machines.

7. eisa01 macrumors newbie

Just stay away from the current 15" model. I've got one and I will return it for a 12" iBook. The thing that tipped me over was that it's not compatible with more than 1 gb ram if you use airport. It will just stop working when you use more than 1 gig of it. And then there are these lines on the LCD, that kinda gives texture to every solid color. Then it's the battery, they just upped the estimate with 1 hour, to 5,5 hours, but I could only get 3 hours and 40 minutes. I expected to get 4 hours, and I was only doing light work and had the brightness down to the lowest level.

8. o_behave macrumors newbie

Buy one....

I was torn... true... and i was hoping for a bigger upgrade two weeks ago.

nevertheless i just decided to get one... i really needed it. Typing this message now on this beauty. Even have the 7200 rpm hard drive installed, which really shows a difference.

I do not regret it at all... and I do recommend getting one.

Sexy little thing, this is ;-)

:D

9. djkny macrumors 6502

Don't get a 12". After all the hype around its portability advantages, I trial-runned one for several months (I've also had a 17"PB for a year and a 15" PB for two years). It's just TOO small. In fact, it's not really the "smallness" that's disturbing but this eerie sense of claustrophobia that staring into such a tiny screen space builds. If you've never dealt with anything bigger, than you'll go wide-eyed and appreciate it like a pre-apple fall (no pun intended). but if you've tasted bigger, it just won't do. Get the 14" ibook or an older refurb 15" PB.

10. smartbrother macrumors newbie

Don't forget that you can get a student discount on the powerbook.

I was also considering getting an older model but for 200 more than what I would have paid, I got 128 vram, higher resolution display, dual layer drive, better battery life and DDR2. And then when the intel powerbooks arrive, you can resell it for more than the older models if you so desire.

As for the 1gb ram messing up the airport, I have 2gb in my powerbook and airport is working fine.

11. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

I'd recomend going with a refurb through apple as well.

12. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

That's one of the thoughts I had, but then again. Apple has been living a double life for the last 5 years. So I don't think it will be as bad as many think. I'll still wait a week or two after people have gotten them to see any bugs though.

13. DesignIt macrumors member

Get the 15" powerbook instead of the Ibook. Well worth it imho. I have the pb and LOVE this little machine. Don't regret getting it for a segundo! In fact, I'm getting ready to order a pair of JBL speakers to hook up to it, as we speak. =)

14. Zarach macrumors newbie

Torn about what exactly?

Which powerbook to buy? I don't mean to sound b*tchy here, but what's the problem deciding? You said:

“I'd simply like it for email, Word, internet browsing, dvd watching, and maybe some photoshop editing as well, but not hardcore editing.”

Pretty much ANY Mac made in the last X years can do what you want. Why spend a ton of money on the newest and best if you don't need it? You have other computers that are powerful...an old 867mhz powerbook can do what you're looking for very well, and can be had cheaply.

15. cepler macrumors member

cepler

What are you smoking? I just launched all my apps (Including Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Keynote, Bridge, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, iTunes, BBEDIT, iPhoto, Addressbook, iCal, Safari, Mail, Adium), I think I was around 300 meg free on a 2 gig machine, no problems. Sounds like you've got a faulty machine if this is a problem you're experiencing.

16. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I bought my 15" PB just before the current revision, and I love it! I think that along with Apple Care it will see me through nicely to the Rev B Intel Powerbook. Mine is the 1.5 GHz model with 1.5 GB RAM, Combo drive, but only 64MB video memory. Slightly below the specs you seek, but I use it for all that you mentioned and more. Very happy with the results!

17. FieldsOfDreams macrumors newbie

just get it.
    Don't wait, because it will drive you crazy till June.
    The computer is going to work just the same when the Intel computers come out in June.

18. gunnz macrumors member

You can really get that for 1500 bucks nowadays? Did the pre-revision powerbook have 128 mb video card? I think either it wasn't offered, or only on the top-of-the-line 15 PB with Superdrive.

19. generik macrumors 601

generik

This PB is really starting to grow unto me.. I'd say you buy it now. Experience it for 6 months then ditch it if you have to :D

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There's nothing wrong getting a " previously adored " PowerBook,
    but micro electronics being what it 'tis, I'd either buy new or go through
    the AppleStore for a factory supported refurb.

The 1.5 GHz 15" PB's had a few RAM slot issues in the motherboard, so I'd
    get the 1.67 GHz with the 128 MB VRAM. If you can swing it.

21. generik macrumors 601

generik

Previously adored is fine, but the trouble is it might have been in a abusive family... :rolleyes:

22. gunnz macrumors member

http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2005/10/ibook_ram_problem

He's probably talking about the pre-revision powerbooks. Also, he's talking about Airport not working....not those other applications.

23. revisionA macrumors 6502

Try adjusting battery optimization under Energy Saver in System Preferences.

Also read the manual in regards to battery maintenance.

$

24. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I Bought One!

Alright everyone, I just went ahead and got one yesterday! I was waiting for a killer deal for weeks, and I finally got one. Right now I'm typing on my 3 month old 15'' Powerbook w/1.5 ghz, 1.5 gigs of memory, 80 gig harddrive, combo drive, and looking brand new for a total of $1,150! I've only had this thing for about 12 hours, and I already love it, it's incredible. I would really like to thank everyone who offered their input, I appreciate it! Thanks again everyone!

25. tekmoe macrumors 68000

that is an awesome deal!