15" PowerBook... is it portable?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mjstew33, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    Basically the title says it. I'm going to get a 15" PowerBook soon and is it easy to carry around? I have a 14" iBook and I think that is extremely easy to carry around. It's not to big is it? I just kind of like to move around a bit, and am worried the 15" PowerBook isn't meant to do that.

I'm just a 'lil worried!

2. javiercr macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2005
    the 17'' may be to big to carry around, but the 15 should be fine, i know a lot of people that carry them around, i have the 12 it is easIER to carry around :rolleyes:
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Since you're having no problem with the 14" iBook, you should have no issues woth the 15" PowerBook. The PowerBook is a few ounces lighter and only an inch wider. In other words, don't worry it'll be just fine.

Depending on what carrying case you have for the iBook, you may need to get a new one with the protective compartment sized for the PowerBook.
  4. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    Ok, awesome. I have a 15" notebook Targus case. I hope that will do, if it doesn't, I'll just have to figure something out.
  5. robcts macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    Some of my friends have a 15" PB and carry it around with no problems at all.
  6. achie25 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    As a teacher and a grad student I carry my 15" all over the place. It is very portable and I absolutely love it.
    Get one and you will too!
  7. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, I guess I'm the only one with any minor complaints. I have a 15" PB and carry it in a Brenthaven Pro 12/15 and that gets a little heavy walking across campus with my backpack. So, as long as you're not having to cover yourself in books and such, you'll be fine. Also, it just depends on how you distribute the weight across your body that makes a huge difference.
  8. achie25 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    I'm looking for a good bag. Do you like the Brenthaven?
  9. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    My 15"PB goes everywhere with me it's very portable.

I just use a Shorty's backpack.
    That way it's not obvious I'm carrying a laptop.
  10. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    My 15" goes with me everywhere on campus as well. Each time I pick it up it amazes me how light it feels. Especially when you compare it to my roomates big 15" HP Laptop...
  11. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I have a Brenthaven Pro backpack for my 15" PB. It is butt ugly, but it works beautifully. I got it well over a year ago, and it looks every bit as good (bad?) as the day I bought it. The built-in sleeve offers great protection, and there is plenty of room for additional gear. The straps are well padded, so it doesn't cut into you like a cheaper 'pack might.

If you can get past the complete and total lack of style, it is a great backpack.
  12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I have a 15" PB and I find it to be portable, I use a Booq backpack and it does not add a lot of weight to my books. My biology textbook is heavier. I would advise just getting a good bag or backpack, then you don't even notice its there.
  13. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I take mine to work and school every day in this canvas BR messenger bagI have. Not a problem at all, and, like others have said, most of my textbooks weigh more than the PowerBook. Only advice is if you're going to ever carry in the same bag with other books, notebooks, etc. be sure to have a cloth or piece of heavy paper separting from the other stuff. The rings from a spiral notebook left some nasty permanent marks onn my 12-incher :(
  14. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    Even my 17" is portable. About the only place it seems to not work out is on a 737-200 of Southwest Airlines, but the 737-800 of Southwest airlines have enough room on the tray table to put them on. Remember even the Wallstreet is portable even though it is a pound heavier than the 17" Powerbook. The thing that doesn't make them portable is when you add too much to your case, or get a case that is too heavy, or use straps that can't carry the weight evenly on your shoulder. I'm able to pack an extra battery, and power brick in my CaseLogic case designed for the 17" Powerbook. Don't put too much loose in the cases since they can get scratched.
  15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004

shouldnt be a problem, but if you have any trouble perhaps you can get a car to move it around in :D
  16. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I have a question. If the screen on the 14" iBook (1024x768) is FINE for what you do....and you need to carry your computer around frequently....why would you get a 15" Powerbook? Wouldn't a 12" Powerbook be more practical?
  17. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I have a 15" Pb and it has never once crossed my mind that I might not be able to bring it with me somewhere, my only hesitation would be is it a safe area to have a $2500 computer. It fits easily in my small bookbag, I'm not forced to carry around one of those clunky-as* brenthaven bags(sorry to those that have them, more power to you) or any of those other bags that obviously look like someone is carrying a laptop and about 15 tons in books. I bought a Tom Bihn vertical insert case that has a 2 inch air bladder(like a cushion of air on the bottom in case i drop my Bookbag) and fits in my Bookbag easily. I repeat i have a very small North Face book bag that fits it perfectly. PM if you want a link to the Tom Bihn bag.
  18. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I have an Zenith 8088 with duel 5.25" floppies and a 6" monochrome screen.
    Yah, it's portable, even though it weighs about 40 pounds. ;)

Seriously, I have had three notebooks - all of which have been lugged extensibly for college/work. Your case and what you put in it is going to make all the difference in the world. PB Wallstreet wasn't bad to haul around as long as I didn't have to bring all of my drive bays, AC adapter, and spare battery along. I currently have a 12" PB Rev. A. Even then, tacking on the external Zip, the AC adapter, trackball, external HD, USB Hub (anyone else notice the ports are way too close together, especally if you use an iPod?), and sometimes even a printer or scanner can really make it a pain to move around. So the portability really depends on bringing along no more then you need. In most cases, I just have my PB and a spare battery or an AC adapter. That's it.
  19. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    hey lilstewart92 didnt u just get that iBook recently??? i could of sworn i read earlier u had just gotten it.....
  20. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN

If all you need is 1024x768 , then I'd recommend the iBook. For me the only reason to step up from a 14" iBook to a 12" PowerBook is to get the DVI output, the option of using a second display (great when giving presentations with Keynote), and a sleek aluminum case. 14" to 15" makes more sense (I have a 15" PowerBook after all) since you get a thinner computer, significantly more screen space, and all the perks of having a PowerBook (glowing keyboard, PC Card, full DVI plug, etc.). I've never been in a situation where the size of my laptop was a problem.

Besides the 15" PowerBook I've also worked with a 14" iBook (helping a relative) and found it to be quite nice as well. Having worked with the 15" screen for so long, though, the resolution of the 14" took some getting used to.
  21. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think the Brenthaven bags are very nice for someone who is using them for business aspects, but for a college student they're a bit of overkill. The Pro 12/15 has enough space for books and other items, but lacks the weight distribution of a backpack. I'm looking into getting a backpack along with my Brenthaven. Anyone have any ideas about backpacks? I've been looking at the Axios but I don't know if they have enough room for a 5-subject notebook and at least one text book.
  22. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2002
    Yeah, just August 15th he posted about getting his replacement (which was ruined the first week or so of August, and he had just bought it).

That's kinda quick. What's with the upgrading? Do you really need it? Why can't you go handle a PowerBook at any Apple Store, CompUSA, or Mac User Group? I get the feeling you post here to just talk about your Mac purchases, and purchase Macs just to talk about here... like quite a few other laymurs.
  23. florencevassy macrumors regular

Jun 1, 2004
    Princeton, NJ

The 15" is very portable.

I use a crumpler considerable embarassment bag to carry it around. I really like the bag's built in sleeve, velcro opening and extra pockets.
  24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I recommend STM bags. Great people, as the designers go to MacWorld themselves. They gave me a pair of socks :D My bag (Sports, black w/ red) is going strong, even after two years. You can fit quite a bit of stuff in there if you know how to pack.