15" Powerbook or 12" with same processor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macswellcoffee@, Jul 17, 2005.

1. macswellcoffee@ macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2005
    I've dcided to finally just say forget it and buy a Powerbook off of eBay. Some say it's risky but I'm pretty eBay experienced so whatever. I just need to know what I should get between two auctions. One auction is a 12" PB 1.5 ghz with Superdrive, 1.25 Gigs of memory, and 2.9 years of Applecare. The second is a slightly older PB, a 15" 1.5ghz, 512 megs ram, superdrive. Both seem in great condition, and both buyers have good reviews. I am going to be using this PB as a freshman in college in the dorms, and the entire campus has wifi, i am also going to buy an lcd, keyboard, mouse for the dorm. Which would you get, mostly an argument of screen size and applecare?
  2. evolutioneight macrumors member

Mar 22, 2005
    If you're going to get a seperate LCD, don't even bother with the 15", just get the 12, its got alot of applecare left and more RAM plus you say it's newer.

I wouldn't even consider the 15, if those are your plans.
  3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Get the 12" and spend the extra cash on an external LCD display from Dell. You should be able to afford a 19" UltraSharp, or at least a 17" UltraSharp, with the difference in price for those two systems. You'll get the best of both worlds with that... nice large LCD and a super small ultra portable computer. On the other hand, I am pretty sure the 15" will have a better GPU than the 12" (9600 vs 5200go, I think?)... if that is something that you need (gaming or maybe video editing with Motion) then go for the 15"...
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Personally I prefer the 15" nicer screen, better video card, more expandability _BUT_ of the 2 machines you mention the 12" is definitely the better machine it has more memory and AppleCare and according to what you say it's only a couple of months old so go for it I say.

Anyway good luck with which ever model you choose.
  6. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I like the idea of the 12" as well for the same reasons. If you are using it in class, the portability of the 12" will serve you well, and if you are going to use an LCD in the dorm, then the advantages of the 15" are minimal. In this case, go for the better 12" machine.

That being said, the prices could affect the scenario.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6