Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangagat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Hey guys.

Can the 15" screen of the powerbook be considered true widescreen?

what would a widescreen movie look like on that display?

as for resolutions, how does it handle non-native resolutions? does the quality diminish in any way?

Dan

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
daniel_hamekasi said:
Hey guys.

Can the 15" screen of the powerbook be considered true widescreen?

what would a widescreen movie look like on that display?

as for resolutions, how does it handle non-native resolutions? does the quality diminish in any way?

Dan

best thing to do is go into an apple store or dealer and see for yourself..

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
the powerbook screen is 1280x854.

a widescreen dvd will show just a slight area of black above and below the movie. 16x9 is 'true' widescreen as you say, but this is 15x9 i believe. you can easily do the math. basically its pretty close.

wangagat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
hugemullens said:
And of course the powerbook, like any LCD screen, looks terrible at non-native resolutions. Its the nature of LCD's.

ok, thanks for the info.

follow up question would be: then how do TV LCDs handle the different resolutions?

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
do you live hundreds of miles from an apple dealer or something? if not, just go to one and look.

wangagat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
blue&whiteman said:
do you live hundreds of miles from an apple dealer or something? if not, just go to one and look.

no, but they're not open at this hour.

However, I'm not going to hold back on my question just because the answer might seem obvious to you.

:)

idkew

macrumors 68020
dvds will not look horrible. they look quite nice. crisp and clean. 15" looks great, but the 17" makes dvd watching more fun.

when you change the res on any lcd to a non native (or 4x smaller smaller) resolution, they will lose their crispness.

look at a picture of a 15" powerbook next to some normal pc laptop. you will see it is definitely a widescreen.

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
Easy Killer...

blue&whiteman said:

please don't be a jerk. in the time it took you type out that rude answer, you could have answered in a kind and polite way, giving him the information he requested.

I believe that LCD TVs will also lose image "crispness" if you changed the resolution on them (I don't know that you can though).

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
blue&whiteman said:

It is much easier to ask us here in hopes that we are knowledgeable than to pick one's behind up and go to an Apple Store, even if it's across the street. I think it is a testament to our community that daniel came here first.

There's an Apple Store half way across town (about 30 minutes). But I would ask a question here before I went there just because it's so much easier and because I can get a variety of opinions.

As for the question itself, I think others are doing a better job than I could of providing info.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
nuclearwinter said:
please don't be a jerk. in the time it took you type out that rude answer, you could have answered in a kind and polite way, giving him the information he requested.

I believe that LCD TVs will also lose image "crispness" if you changed the resolution on them (I don't know that you can though).

sorry if I came off like a jerk, that was not at all my intention. I was just trying to get him to go see one in person because then you would have a really good idea if you want one. I should have been more clear. I sure didn't insult him or anything though...

I think a lot of the people here can vouch for me being a good guy that is helpful. just look at my post history.

wangagat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
blue&whiteman said:
sorry if I came off like a jerk, that was not at all my intention. I was just trying to get him to go see one in person because then you would have a really good idea if you want one. I should have been more clear. I sure didn't insult him or anything though...

I think a lot of the people here can vouch for me being a good guy that is helpful. just look at my post history.

hey Blue.

no I really didn't take it as in insult. Did you not see the :) at the end of my reply to you?

I maybe a posting-noob, but I have been reading for a while, and I myself will vouch for your good-guy-ness.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.