15" Powerbook Screen Going Haywire

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ezsober, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ezsober macrumors member

Aug 14, 2003
    I have an older model 867 15" Powerbook. Recently, one of the two hinges at the base of the screen that attaches the display to the body of the computer broke. That is, the leftmost part of the left hinge just randomly cracked and separated from the screen base is stuck and won't budge. The right side is still attached. I've been using the computer like this, toting it around on several occasions. In order to close the computer, I "lift" the left side a little to get it over the stuck, broken hinge, and then close it as if it wasn't broken. I have stopped doing this as I now realize this may have damages the wires connecting to the screen.

Tonight, the screen just randomly started going haywire. So long as the computer is open about 60 degrees or less, the screen is fine. Anything more, and the screen starts to fade to white and the mouse freezes. Horizontal lines start proliferating and part of the screen looks like TV snow. Moving the screen to 60 degrees or less fixes the problem.

I've had this computer since August 2003. Anyone heard about something like this. As for the broken hinge, is that something I can get fixed? Can any suggest a site or a source that will allow me to fix this without paying Apple some exorbitant sum?

2. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Wow, considering how I baby my 400mhz and two years older Tibook which I still love, it's sad that you have let yours get so unsuable. Get thee to an Apple tech at least for a diagnosis: then call around to see if you can get it fixed cheaper somewhere else since it seems that you, like me, have no idea what to do with a fixing a computer. Keep in mind all the wires that go through those hinges -- this is a serious problem as you have found out.
  3. ezsober thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2003
    California. The hinge broke. I let it slide for 3 days. Hardly negligence. Its difficult to take care of something that has a built in halflife no matter how careful you are.

I'm going to buy the part off the internet. Anyone know any apple servicers or other people in the Boston metro area who might be willing to do the labor if I supply the part? Beats paying Apple 1400. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. As California points out, i'm a tech ignoramus. I'd probably drop the motherboard on the floor.