15" PowerBook Ti Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by livingfortoday, Feb 10, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I've looked through a few pages of old posts, but I can't seem to find any specific solution to this problem, so here it goes.

For about three months now, my Titanium PowerBook has been telling me the wrong battery life. When I unplug it, it'll stay at 99%, and then randomly fall to 3% or 7%, and tell me I'm low on battery life. This can happen at any time, from ten minutes from me unplugging it to an hour. I never know when the battery is going to die, it'll just stay at 3% until it turns itself off.

I've tried draining the battery completely and recharging it fully, and all sorts of other tricks, but nothing seems to work. I think I'm getting about a two hour charge out of the battery at this point, by the way.

Is it time for a new battery in this computer? Or is there some software issue I am not familiar with that could solve this problem?

If not, where could I find a good, reliable, and *cheap* Pb battery?

Thanks for your help!
  2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact info, but...

Have you tried zapping the PRAM? It's on a thread here somewhere, it's in the title, and it's a sticky. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

There was a thread not too long ago about new PB batteries. Also shouldn't be too hard to find. Bad news, it's gonna set you back about $130, if I recall.

PB batteries do have a limited life, it may just be time to replace it.
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    My TiBook's battery is getting old, and it does do some funky stuff like dropping from 25% to zero, but I chalked that up to the age and amount of use I've put on that battery for the last 2+ years. It doesn't do anything like holding at 99% for any length of time.
  4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Yeah, I just tried zapping the PRAM, but it's still doing the same thing. Well, now it's stuck on 98% instead of 99%, but I really don't think that matters much.

I may just need to get a new battery, but I really can't afford $130 for just the battery. Is there any third-party vendor that makes PowerBook batteries?
  5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    My TiBooks battery does weird stuff like that. For instance...it will seem to drain pretty rapidly (like maybe a little over an hour). I'll get a warning about being on reserve power...but it will continue to go for another hour or so. Just weird....and old. :rolleyes:
  6. stutz macrumors member

Jan 19, 2005
    Me too. What the...?

I feel for you man because I get the same funky stuff. I can charge this puppy up to a 100% most of the time, but sometimes it will only get up to 96% or 98%. Then it will only a little over an hour in use with the very lowest powersettings, screen and all, using only one application and never having a CD inserted or another peripheral hooked up. I get about 40-50 seconds per percentage point. Then once it gets to about 5-8% of battery it just hangs on like it's running on fumes for at least another hour. Then it will slowly drop to 0% letting me know it's done. Nothing has worked in fixing it.

My PowerBook is now 3 years old though; and I've used this computer almost every day I've had it. I thought about getting a new battery, but have decided to wait until the next generation of chips goes into the laptop series and get another PowerBook altogether. I guess this doesn't help you much, but just lets you know you are not alone.