15" Powerbook vs. 17" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jwbrickner, Mar 3, 2005.

1. jwbrickner macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying a new powerbook after Tiger comes out (I presume it will be realeased at the WWDC this June). I have been doing some research to find which model will suit me best. I have decided to go with the 17" model, mostly because it as the digital I/O for audio (I will be using the machine as the basis for my portable audio studio). My only concern is that the larger screen size will cause slower video performance. In addition to using it for audio I will probably run Motion and a few games on it. I am aware a laptop does not provide for the best gaming platform but I am by no means a hardcore gamer. I just game every once in a while. Will the bigger screen cause the GPU to run slower than the 15" model with the 128MB of VRAM?

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I have never noticed any difference. Stuff like this has been discussed many times before. Use the search on the top.

3. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I make no claims as to the quality and usefulness of this recent thread, but it does discuss this exact comparison.

4. jwbrickner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnaks for the help

Thanks for the help but that discussion doesn't really speak of video performance. Can anyone put their 2 cents in about this?

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

It will look the same and run the same on the 15 inch and the 17 inch. The reason why is because the gpu is still only running 1 screen. So the whole 128 of video memory is going to the screen. Its doesnt matter the size, untill you get up to 20 inch screens and above. It would be different if you were powering two lcd's because then the video ram is being split and shared. But as far as the 15 inch and 17 inch, they will be the same. I hope that helps. ;)