15" PowerFryingPan

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stevocrates23, Aug 12, 2005.

1. stevocrates23 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to a 15" PowerBook from my 12" three weeks ago. 512mb original ram, with an additional 512 stick in the other slot. Tiger, up to date. Etc. All that stuff. The thing that I noticed is that this thing will get so hot while being used, that I could probably fry stuff on it. Especially near the bottom area of the screen. Is this normal? My 12" never really got this hot, and it's smaller = less heat dissipation inside. The other day I was trying to relax by leaning back on my couche and putting my powerbook on my lap, and it almost burned my legs. So yeah, I just want to know if this is normal and also if those laptop cooling pads/usb hubs actually help. Thanks. Oh and lastly, how do I check which revision PB i have?

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Download Temperature Monitor.
    Linkety

What does it say? (Report it in Celsius, please)

3. stevocrates23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it gives me this on the top first:

"You should be aware that the current Mac OS X version does not trigger updates for these sensors listed below. The readouts will only reflect the situation when the computer was started."

And the readings are as follows:

Processor/Controller Bottomside - 30.8C
    Processor Bottomside - 28.5C
    Power Supply Bottomside - 28.5C
    Trackpad - 28.5C
    Battery Temperature - 28.0C

The fact that my current OS X version (10.4.2 on PowerBook5,6) does not trigger updates for these sensors - could that be the problem for my PowerBook being so hot? I can barely hear anything (like a fan) being started in it. Thanks for your advice and that program link. :eek:

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Restart while it's hot. That should refresh the sensors.

Do you hear any fans at all? Or just rarely?

What surface is the PowerBook on? Carpets and such are bad for heat dispersion, yknow... nice flat desk is good.

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

hah! 30.8C ain't JACK! my 12" gets up to 60C when i am running serato scratch live!