15" Studio Display (LCD) and brightness controls

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 5300cs, Dec 29, 2004.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just got a 15" studio display (LCD) and I installed the Apple Displays Software but I still cannot adjust the brightness.

On the back of the display there no buttons, and on the front are the power (on the right) and brightness (on the left.) Pushing the brightness button does nothing, nor do any of the keys on the keyboard. My displays panel looks like this with no 'options' tab or anything.

Am I stupid or what? Some please help me out with this :confused: :p

Attached Files:

2. D2G5Dan macrumors newbie

Configure

I dont have the cinema display, i bought the LG1920P but when i set mine up i could adjust everything through the displays setup in the prefrences like u had but click on the 'Color' tab and find your monitor on the list and then click the 'Configure' button and it should run you through a set up. If that wont work them im sure there are some other nice fellers on here that have the same display and know how to set it up... worth a shot... hope it helps

3. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Nope, that doesn't do anything. There's a 'calibrate' button, but that's it. :( Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Have you restarted the machine afterwards? I've heard that macos is gathering info on you screen while booting

You should have a slider underneath the other screen options

Attached Files:

5. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Yup, many times. I also installed the software more than once (just in case) - no dice. No slider, Google doesn't help and neither does Apple's own support pages :(

The machine is a 1.6Ghz G5

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It's possible you have a defective video card.

Someone else here in MR had the same problem with his G5 video card (in his case, an FX5200), and Apple sent him a replacement under warranty.

The reason you don't see the brightness slider is very likely because your video card isn't sending the USB signal through the ADC. In System Preferences - Displays, does it say "Apple Studio Display" on the top of the window? I'll attach what my window looks like so you can compare.

(just in case: to take a snap of just the window, it's shift-command-4, then space, then click the window you want to grab).

Attached Files:

7. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

Jesus, I even did a system re-install, and it still won't show the brightness slider :mad:

At the top of the window it says "Apple Studio Display." I reinstalled, repaired permissions ... I'm about to light some incense here, because that's really the last option :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have the stock Invidia 5200, but I highly doubt anything's wrong with the card. The USB cable is plugged straight into the back of the machine and everything- my Bluetooth adapter and keyboard are plugged into the 2 ports on the back of the display and they are right as rain.

WTF is going on :confused:

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

It's puzzling for sure.

How about trying it with nothing plugged into the back of the monitor? You probably have the keyboard USB extension wire somewhere. Maybe there's some USB voodoo going on with the hub in the monitor, and freeing up those USB ports plus a restart could bring the brightness slider? You seem to have tried everything else so maybe you could give this a shot.

9. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

*sigh* nope :(

Maybe if I pick it up over my head, then smash it down on the desk really hard until it ... oh wait, that wouldn't work :p

Is the original 15" LCD supposed to have the brightness slider option anyway? :rolleyes: I've thought of that

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

If anyone you know has an ADC equipped Mac (or a DVI-ADC-adapter-equipped-Mac) maybe you'll have to end up lugging the monitor over to them to test it further. If it turns out it's not the monitor I'd go back to suspecting your G5's video card. Your USB signals are getting through, but the magic one that brings the brightness slider is apparently missing.

11. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have a MDD G4 that I was planning on selling; it's all reformatted and waiting in it's box to be sold. I'll schlep it out and test the monitor on that. I bought it used, so if it doesn't work on my MDD I'm bringing it back to knock some heads :mad:

Thanks for your help up to this point :) (I've always been a CRT person, so this is all new to me :eek: )

12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

You're welcome. I hope you can get that slider. I wonder if it's somewhere in the system, the control for the slider, sort of like the "eject" icon for the top-right of the menu bar? You know, where you run some sort of little file in there and suddenly you see the eject thing up there near the clock.

Let me know how the MDD test pans out. To get it back to a "virgin" state (after the Studio Display tests), where the Setup Assistant runs again (as if for the first time), follow these instructions:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010827120222505&query=re-run+initial+setup

13. rozwell macrumors regular

i had a 15" that i just got rid of maybe 2 months ago and i had it hooked up to my 12" powerbook using the ADC-DVI adapter deal, and i couldnt get brightness either, it wasnt a big deal to me, but i could see how it would be annoying.

14. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

That reminds me, I had it hooked up to my 17" earlier this evening and I wasn't able to get any options on it, either.

Maybe the monitor is a little screwy...

15. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

I noticed, when I click on Displays in System Preferences, there is a pause (with the lollipop of death) then the console says:

What does THAT mean? :(