15 Things Apple Should Change in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 15, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

A couple are very valid points, especially selecting Applications. I'm sorry to say, but the start menu and its all programs menu is one of the few copysoft has best Apple. Apple's hide and go seek approach with the applications is nowhere near as intuitive. The majority of the rest sound like nitpicks and an unwillingness to learn Mac OS X.

3. macrumors 65816

autrefois

I think Mac OS X should automatically filter out stupid articles like this one.

While there are a couple points made here and there, like BenRoethig said mostly these are nitpicks and different user preferences and not actual problems. OS X is far from perfect, so I kept hoping I would read something and say "yeah, I totally agree with that", but it just didn't happen.

4. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think they are mostly nitpicks, but most of them seem sensible to me, I'm not use about the date (though it should be an option), or the documents in the dock (though that could be built into Cocoa/Carbon), having the Applications folder in the dock by default is a great idea.

5. macrumors newbie

Here we go again.
    A bunch of windows losers, I mean...users, with no OS X experience talking about the little details. We all know that we can deal with these.
    But how about running an os, that crashes every 5 minutes due to inconsistencies in its core???
    That, I couldn't deal with. That's why I switched to OS X. :cool:
    Couldn't be happier!:D

6. macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I agree, it sure is hard to select a file and press enter to rename a file! :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

7. macrumors 6502

I got to the first item where the writers complain that they can't remember what day it is!
    Seriously, they do raise some good points but they are mostly trivial. The Dock does need a dose of steroids. The Context and Help mess is already scheduled for 10.5. The business of resizing windows makes sense until I thought about how often I ever need to actually do that. A window is either taking up the screen or minimized, I rarely ever need to resize it. So it would be handy I guess, but hardly worth the lives of all the electrons that were sacrificed for the article.

8. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

This went around in a thread a few days ago, and I quite plainly have to disagree. For one, XP has that "feature" where it hides menu items you don't frequently use, which has got to be the textbook example of "hide and go seek". And, when it's not in that mode, you can fill your screen up with submenus trying to get at the program.

Here's how to get at Apps in windows:
    1. Start menu
    2. Stick them down in the quicklaunch bar

Here's Apple's:
    1. Any finder window
    2. Apple-Shift-A
    3. The dock (equiv to the quicklaunch bar, except the icons are larger than 8x8)
    4. Spotlight
    5. The Apps folder in the dock
    6. Recent Items menu

And in the end, all the apps you need to worry about are in the Applications folder. And, if it's still a problem, install one of the many menu utilities that add a launcher to the menubar.

It's all personal prefs in the end, though, isn't it. I mean, how can it be measurably better?

9. macrumors 601

While most of what he says may be nitpicking, what or who says that we shouldn't do better? Just because Mac OS X is more rock-solid at its core and is overall a better system (I much prefer it overall) doesn't mean that some things can't be better. Some of these things I truly consider nitpicks, but some of them could go a long way to improving productivity by reducing the time it takes to do repetitive tasks, such as the cut/paste in Finder or the convoluted method of file renaming. Of course OS X is our preferred system, but that doesn't mean that there is no room for improvement.

10. macrumors Core

you can edit it so the date displays in the menubar, but it does take some configuring and should be default...

but most of this stuff is nitpicking.

11. macrumors 68000

lmalave

3 solutions:

1) use spotlight to find your application
    2) drag the entire "Applications" folder to your dock
    3) use "Recent Applications" menu

Most of the time I just use Spotlight - it's FAR faster than clicking around in a Finder/Explorer type window. It's the more Google-esque, Web 2.0 way of doing things, or at least its equivalent on the Desktop.

If I don't remember the application's name or I just prefer to browse what I have in Applications, then I just click on The Application folder on my Dock, which gives me a Start-menu type interface.

Also, let's not forget the "Apple" menu. Sometimes the quickest way to an application is to look through your Recent Applications. Actually, this is something that OS X has that Windows doesn't have. In Windows, you can get a list of recent documents in your Start menu. In OS X, you can get a list of recent documents *and* a list of recently run applications in your Apple menu...

12. macrumors 601

Diatribe

I agree they are mostly nit-picking. But seriously, OS X dimming the screen on its own while the setting say otherwise? :confused: Mine is doing it just fine.

And if Apple EVER puts more than one button on a notebook I won't ever buy a new Apple notebook again and stick with the last one that only has one button.

Mice should have two buttons but it's not like the right mouse button is actually reachable in a convenient way on most notebooks...

13. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The article makes some interesting points but I'd like to reiterate one previously suggested solution (and add to it) and express one big gripe:

1) Like mainstreetmark said, put your Applications folder in the Dock! This is such a great way to get to your apps (click-and-hold on the Dock icon to get a hierarchy of your Applications folder), that I would love it if Apple made it this a default!

2) What a pain it was to read an article that could've been posted on one page but instead was posted across four pages with far too much other information on each page. But I guess getting page hits is a way to deceive their advertisers into thinking they're getting more than they are.

14. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

I know that, I do that myself. However will a switcher or an average Joe know how to do that? Any computer novice can use the start menu in windows. The same cannot be said for Apple's solution. It needs to be refined to make it easy for those with little Mac or computer experience.

15. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i was skeptical before reading this article, but i really have to agree with the finder cut and paste feature that windows has. i would find it so useful to be able to cut/copy a program/file and paste it wherever i wanted. it's so simple.

16. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There are desktop shortcuts in Windows too. (and program files, but that doesn't count. ;) )

17. macrumors 6502a

While I agree that most of these are nitpicky (but possibly useful), there is one of them that annoys me on a daily basis that I've been hoping Apple would fix with every update: Too small columns in the column view. They really need to make the columns view dynamic like they have in the hierarchy of spotlight. When you select on a column it should stretch to fit the file names and the other columns should get smaller. Either that or they need to have the file names break and go onto two lines. By the time you're done finding a file in columns view, you end up with a window that fills (or goes off of) your screen. Plus resizing the columns doesn't stick, once you switch folders the tiny columns are back.

Another thing that was not mentioned that I think they need is the ability to grab application windows by all sides, not just the top. OS 9 used to do this. I don't know how many times a window has gotten stuck behind the palettes in Photoshop or Acrobat or any other app with palettes at the top. Then you have to either move all the palettes or close and reopen the window which doesn't always work.

18. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I found this article to be, for the most part, pedantic.

I found some of the complaints to be invalid, especially if someone had been using OS X for some time and realized that some of the complaints were specific only to Tiger and that OS X is still a work in progress.

If I were writing this article, it would be titled:

1 Thing Apple Needs to Change in Mac OS X.

1) Please un-*uck the Finder. That is all.

19. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The lagging Finder update issue is real enough. I consider this to be a bug in OSX if only because it worked correctly in OS9 but never has in OSX. It's a pretty major nuisance, IMO.

20. macrumors regular

I like being able to resize windows from any window edge.

Not OS-related, but the keyboard shortcut for moving through tabbed web pages is a pain. Why can't it just be Ctrl-Tab instead of the convoluted Cmd-Shift-left/right arrow keys? You literally have to be a contortionist.

I would like the Enter key to open files, folders and apps. The Cmd-down arrow took forever to figure out.

21. macrumors regular

Can someone explain to me what's wrong with the OS X Finder? Thanks.

22. macrumors regular

jephrey

I use column views exclusively and I do have a big problem... It doesn't have to always open to a large size, but if it would at least open to what I had it at last time I'd be satisfied. That has seriously pissed me off, always having to resize a column. I hope that gets "fixed". I agree that it's somewhat nitpicking, but I have similar peeves to windows that I would say are reasons to switch to a mac. So nitpicky or trivial, they still have to count, and I hope they get better.

J

23. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Try this: open a Finder window in list view, sorted by date modified. Now, open one of the older files in that folder, make a change and re-save it. Does the file now jump to the top of the list? Has the modification date changed? Sometimes, but not always. Now, if you try to select the file you just modified in the Finder, it jumps to the top of the list even as you are clicking in the window, and you end up selecting the wrong file. Annoying!

24. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

App instances int he dock would really piss me off... So would two delete keys that do two different things...

"8. Printer Setup. The process of configuring printers in OS X is confusing. It's almost as if Steve Jobs never actually tried this himself, because the way the printer-configuration screens work is quite un-Mac-like. Apple, you can do better than this."

I've never had to do this either... Because it all works without me having to do anything on my Mac, but on my PC I have to install of CDs, update drivers, etc. etc. usually all by hand.

Don't even get my started on the "reader peeves"

25. Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's slow to respond. It's slow to refresh. It's timeout for mounted volumes that disappear is ridiculously long (measuresd in minutes!). The same for accessing volumes that aren't accessible. It's ability to handle the display of many many files is pathetic. It's ability to respond quickly to a default sort of "many" (138 is not many) files in anything but "by name" is annoying. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    The Finder sucks. It needs a major overhaul.