15'' vs 17'' pic request

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ZoomZoomZoom, May 28, 2005.

1. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I'm trying to decide between a 15'' powerbook and a 17'' powerbook. In both cases, I will have the same options. (15'' will be given 128 VRAM and the 100 GB HD.) The 17'' will cost $120 more via the educational discount, but that's not my main worry. I'm not worried about resale value, and performance should be very similar.

I've been concerned more with the actual size of the powerbook, and its portability. And I've read threads supporting both sides, with some people saying how the 15'' is "perfect" and some saying that the 17'' real estate is great while the size is manageable. However, I'm Asian. And thus, Asian-sized: Therefore, size is much more of an issue for me.

So, I was wondering if some people could post some pictures of their 15'' and 17'' powerbooks with themselves in it, or just something to give a clear idea of the sizes. (I'm unable to drive to an apple store, and the pictures in the "post your powerbook setup" thread aren't giving me a clear idea of how large the powerbook will be relative to me, as opposed to a desk.)

Thanks =] I'm a visual learner and it's much easier for me to make a decision when the scale of the powerbook is set by a person rather than a desk lamp or a table. (Which I wouldn't be sure of the size of anyways.)

2. YoNotYoshi macrumors newbie

17 inch powerbook: 1" H x 15.4" W x 10.2" D

maybe you can cut out some cardboard to those dimensions to get an idea of how big it is.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would just say to go into an Apple store or a CompUSA and look at them in person. I use a 15" PowerBook Ti, and though I'd say it's a decent size for portability, I'm actually tempted by the 12" for my next upgrade. The 17" is waaaay too big for me to lug around, and having seen one guy trying to use it in a class with me... well. I don't know. It'd make a good desk-bound machine, but for that I'd just get a PM, ya know?

Again, just go into a store and look at them. Size, weight, it all figures according to different peoples tastes.

4. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

No way dude . . . you mean I should actually go into an APPLE store and look at the two different products before I buy??? WOW - I never would have thought of that myself!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Honestly, the 17" isn't that much bigger than the 15". Some people here make such a big deal about the size. Sure, the 17" is harder to use in lectures at Uni. No kidding....its bigger! However, for everyday use, its really not much bigger. Its the biggest size that'll fit on your lap, while the 15" is just a tad bit smaller and will use less lap space. I'm a 176 cm/5'9" chinese dude, if that matters. :p You'd think the 12" PB is great for portability, but that's not the case. While its great because its small and light, I can't put it on my lap because it may fall between my legs if I sit naturally.

I'd love to have a 15" as my next purchase because of resolution issues with 12", unless the next 12"/13" was a widescreen. :) I don't want a 17" because its more expensive, and because a 12" is fine for me, so a 15" would be great. If you need the screen resolution, get the 17". If you can live with the lower res, get the 15". The 17" is probably as easy to work with as the 15" except on airplanes, and possibly on your lap. However, they're both great for setting at a table.

As for portability, the 17" has a longer battery life (around 3.5 hours) than the 15" PB (2.5 to 3 hours), which has the lowest battery life of any Apple laptop, so that might be a consideration.

6. ZoomZoomZoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

oh :eek:

The battery life determines it then. Heh. Didn't know that the battery different was that huge...

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its different because the 15" and 12" share the same battery. Since the 15" consumes more power than the 12" PB (faster proc, LCD is bigger), obviously the 15" will not last for as long as the 12" PB on battery power. However, while the 17" is bigger and consumes more power than the 15" PB, it has a larger battery to compensate for this, so it has a decent battery life. The 15" is bad, which is one reason I'd stick with a 12/13" widescreen Powerbook if they introduced one.