15 year old with $1500, what to spend it on and how to make more?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Feb 21, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I had a job last summer passing out flyers and I ended up making a LOT of money in a short period of time, around $2000. SO now I've spent, earned, spent again, and made some more money here and there and I am left with $1500. What should I spend it on?

I already have:
    A Mac
    A 24 inch screen
    An XBox
    A Surround Sound System
    A Smart phone
    A bunch of computer stuff
    A skateboard
    A mountain board
    Don't have a bike(maybe?)

I just have everything basically, like I don't NEED anything else. It's has all been bought with my money, or from money obtained through gifts throughout 15 years.

What should I buy now? Anything that I can save up for? I've already gotten the car situation with my parents settled, so I don't really need to save up for that. I just can't seem to find anything and nothing pops into my head.

Also, I am always on the quest to make money not an issue, therefore having enough for me to not have to worry about it. What are some ways a 15 year old can make money?

Through people helping me on MacRumors and teaching myself, I have been able to solve any problem that's computer related, so if maybe there is a way I could make money off that, it would be nice.

Also, my friend told me that I could go on NewEgg and build a computer for $1000 then resell if for $1500. Has anyone had experience with doing this? ANd is it effective?

I probably sound like a cocky person writing this, but I can only sound so not money obsessed on the internet.

Thanks in advance!

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Save it.

(Nah. Bank least $500 though.)

Do something that will get you a return on the rest. Buy junk, resell it all - Works for me and other kids I know, and the profits will soon pay off. ;)

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Save it, put it in a CD and get the interest. Or even use the ING savings account which pays out 4.5% interest.

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Dad's old one, he didn't want it anymore haha.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Put it in the bank for college?

Or just bank in gnereal youl lget interest and you can get a debit card so when you need to you can use the money, and you can withdraw it at your will.

Im 14 and i make my money through painting, yardwork, and recently 3d work.

Yard work is a majority of all my money, though that is probably not the type of work yu are looking for. The newegg thing you can get some really nice deals though the key is finding someone who will pay the price.

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well I did some acting recently and made about $500 all together. That's in the bank right now.

ALso, the 1500 is in the bank, I access it via an ATM card.

8. mistyz23 macrumors member

mistyz23

I would put it in a CD (certificate of deposit) and earn some interest. That way, you can't touch it and spend it on things you really didn't need but just wanted. After a while, you will figure out what you want and you will be certain of wanting IT and not wanting just to SPEND money. :D

9. BigPrince macrumors 68020

10. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Why noy leave it there and withdraw it as you need it? (AKA Apple releases anything)

What interest do you have?

I enjoy paiting alot, drawing, graphic art etc so most of my money goes towards canvases paints software etc.

Edit: You might like a camera, I love taking pictures.

11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Put it in a money market account.

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Does Paypal count?

13. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

paypal doesn't give you interest.

do a certified deposite.

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Are money market accounts the best way to generate money with low risk? I've done a few CDs before but would like to try other options.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm also interested in the topic. :D

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Put it in the bank, wait until you're legally allowed to travel alone, and whenever it is, withdraw the money, get a backpack and travel.

In 2005, I spent four months in French Polynesia backpacking with a friend, and it WAS worth it... Actually, in 3 or 4 months, I'm heading to Australia, but this time with my girlfriend, my D2X, a car and a one year free schedule.

16. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

If driving interests you at all, you might want to put that into your very high insurance rate. That's like one month of auto insurance.

17. BigPrince macrumors 68020

mine $2500 a year but thats collision, liability and comprehensive.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

As much as I love biking, I wouldn't suggest buying one (even though you can get a pretty damn nice mountain bike for $1k). I'm assuming you're in the U.S. and will be getting your license somewhat soon. Unless you're going to ride regularly for transportation, exercise, or fun after you do, don't bother with a bike. Maybe keep a few hundred for fun money, and put the rest in something that earns interest. You could maybe use it for car payments in a few years...

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you like photography you could get a camera and some lenses for that. otherwise I would put it in the bank and let it get interest until you are 16 and then put it towards a car.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Save it for college.

Something I wish I would've done when I was in high school, now I've got student loan debt coming out my arse.

21. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think... don't quote me... CD is a kind of money market

what college do you go to? or... did you go to?

22. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I say put it in the bank or maybe invest in some shares if you do your research?

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

University of Missouri - Rolla

I should be able to handle the loans though, I'm almost guaranteed a job when I graduate from the company I interned for last summer and will be this summer. If I can, I'll live at my parents to save on rent so I can put a huge dent in the loans.

24. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

then you are like 100 miles from st. louis :confused: