1. cbonz macrumors newbie

Should I get the 15" PB now...or should I try to wait for a G5? How long would I have to wait for one of those do you think? I go back and forth every day and am not sure what I want to do. HELP ME!

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well the First thing I would do if I were you is learn how to search the forums for similar threads. This question has been asked a hundred times...

We know little more than you at this point, unless I missed something this week. There's only guesses as to when we'll get a g5 powerbook... but I tend to think april/may '04... who knows though, its all speculation.

This website has a lot of great features to help you make a more informed decision but either way, its pretty safe to say, we're not going to see a g5 powerbook for a while. The update cycle on a powerbook can be seen here:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Feel like waiting 6, 7, 8 months for a g5... go right ahead, but I don't think we'll see it before then. Buy your 15" now. There's no question about it.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a 15" and it's an amazing machine. It's definitely plenty fast for just about anything. If speed is seriously important to you, then I guess the best you can do is wait until next year to see what happens, but if you just need it for general work, then this thing would seem more than powerful enough for you. Just ask yourself if it is more useful for you to have a great computer right now or if it is more useful for you to not have one for possibly another year just based on the hope that the G5 PowerBook is right around the corner. If you can afford to wait, then by all means, do so, but if you do need one and you aren't doing any sort of seriously demanding work on your computer, then these new 15" PowerBooks are definitely up to the task.

4. cbonz thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently running a G4 Cube at 450 mHz, but it's really starting to slow me down and I would love to have the ease of portability (i'm a college student) to take around with me. It's going to have to last me 3 or 4 years, so I'm trying to "future proof" my self as much as possible. I do some video editing with FCP 4, but nothing too render heavy. As you can probably tell, I just don't know.

5. advres Guest

advres

i just got a 1.25ghx powerbook. - i run apple shake, commotion, FCP4, after effects, boris red, and combustion. I have had no problems except for slow render times do to the lack of RAM. once RAM comes down i will load up to 2G but until then i have done many compositing projects and have had no problems. hope this helps.

buy an external firewire drive!!!!