$150 Gift Cert. Does Apple store offer...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforce, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Does the Apple Store offer sticks of 1GB memory for the 13" macbook? All I see on the website is 512x2 and 1GBx2. If not, anyone know if they offer this option in the brick and mortar stores? Another question: Does the military or educational discount not apply to memory? I couldn't get it to affect the prices.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As I recall, you have to install MacBook RAM in pairs, so those are your only options.

3. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

There is no reason it wouldn't work with a 1GB module by itself or a 1GB module and a 256MB module.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It will still "work" but your loosing some performance by not installing the RAM in matched pairs.

5. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I'm ok with that when it comes it comes to all the beach balls this computer gets with such low memory.

Anyone bought a 1GB module from apple?

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The performance you'll lose is so marginal you won't notice it. Plus, more RAM will definitely be better performance than less RAM with match pairs.

And I'd save the $150 for something else (if you are going to make another purchase sometime soon). Check out Datamem and get quality RAM for less.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't think Apple sells individual sticks of RAM - you have to buy them in sets. i agree with grapes - use the 150 for something else and get RAM from Datamem, OWC, or newegg. A 1GB stick from any of these places should cost less than or about $100 or you could get 2x1GB for around $200 (maybe... i haven't checked the prices for these since i ordered mine a few months ago).

8. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Just need the memory from Apple and I'm set.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple will not sell you a single RAM chip because it does not meet their recommended RAM configuration. This is true online or through the B&M store.

I do recommend OWC for your memory though. (MacBook Memory Upgrades)

10. Airforce thread starter macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Well damn. That's just my luck. I'm not really seeing much of anything else to spend this gift card on. It arrived in the mail from USAA for signing up for direct deposit, so I figured I'd waste it on some memory, but at those prices that Apple sells ram, yesh.....Might as well go to Newegg and ebay the card.

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You might wanna try selling it in the Marketplace here, too, I've noticed Apple giftcards in particular hold their value well here.