Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Weekly Photo Contest - Dec. 12 - 19 (Theme: Bugs, Birds & Biplanes)
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Bugs, Birds & Biplanes, i.e., anything with WINGS-- dragonflies, partridges, F-16's, angels, (devils?), etc.

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Let's see what you got!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
IMG_71751.jpg

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
[Hope I made it in time :).]

Yes, you did.

LAST CALL: ENTRIES END AT THE TIME LISTED IN THE BEGINNING POST, TODAY!

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Hey, thanks to everyone for submitting your pics, there’s some very cool stuff here-- you didn’t make my (subjective) “judging” very easy! Hope I don’t offend with the critiques-- purely subjective, and just exploring further options/possibilities.

If there was one thing that struck me overall, it was the preponderance of negative space in so many shots. I usually consider the rule of thirds as well, but it’s only a rule-of-thumb, meant to be broken, when it’s advantageous.

I think you know the first three could easily be the first six... ;)

AlexH: (that name sounds familiar...) Beautiful colors, both the buckeye and the gaillardias. Nice composition, sharp, and perfect DOF as well. Now if only those things would learn to land right-side up!

ijohn.8.80: Great capture and timing. Good composition as well. No substitute for sharp focus, as this illustrates. Background foliage works, with no confusing diagonals-- perfect foil for the foreground subject.

I AM THE MAN: Like the extreme crop, and placement of the gull. The subdued palette/tonality unifies it all. Maybe just a bit brighter white point?

milbournosphere: Love It! Terrific comp. and crop, lighting was perfect for bringing out the “smoke”. I suspect that taking it to (or shooting it in) b &w emphasized the values and movement, and that color would’ve been a distraction.

psychotropic: Beautifully colored bird, nice bokeh (background blur), and a good exposure. Seems a bit soft, esp. the eye, which you want as the sharpest thing.

Rule of Thumb (for photography & painting): watch out for diagonals, like the branch on the right, that exit at a corner-- leads the eye right out of the frame at that point.

fireman32: Really like the palette on this, deep blue-greens with a hint of violet. Lighting is great, as well-- the highlight behind the butterfly on the right really makes the subject pop. Light/vs/dark. Nice & sharp. Value of the petal in the right corner fights for attention a bit?

someoldguy: Bombs away! Neat action shot-- Assume it was diving into the water? Good to have the horizon showing at the bottom, to give it context. How would this work cropped to vertical?-- the squared comp may be robbing the picture of even more drama/tension.

Cheese&Apple: Wow, I really like this. Beautiful lighting-- love the direct light on the head, and backlight on the near wing. Razor-sharp focus, and perfect placement within the frame, leaving a bit more room in front of the bird to give it room to fly...

seattle: Crazy! Is that a flying porpoise or an alien? Nice comp, the guys in front make it complete-- you know this is something special. This type of photo (easily over or under-exposed) can benefit from processing in Lightroom, esp. the latest version. One can punch up the lights and darks even more, tone down the sky a bit, and add a little more color to a relatively monochromatic scene. Very cool.

dampfdruck: (had to type that carefully) Really like the simplicity of this. No distractions. Sharp focus in the limited depth-of-field available.
Hard to do, but just a bit more DOF might be desirable--e.g, keep that beautiful veining pattern on the near wings in focus. If the subject stays still long enough, one can try a stacked focus (combining several exposures taken with slightly varied focal points). Maybe a tad tighter crop and less green saturation?

acearchie: Nice panning, to get that action shot in such sharp (and I mean SHARP) focus. A bit dark? Looks like there’s a fair amount of room to raise the white point/highlights and make things pop even more.

imac wannabe: Can anyone shoot a bald eagle that doesn’t look regal? Still in question after this one! Sharp in the right place,very nice lighting. Very nicely composed.

Fezwick: This has it all! Focus, excellent composition, beautiful bokeh, simplicity, and captures the moment. Very attractive subdued palette as well. Cute sells.

hankster: Another beaut-- nailed the focus, nice background blur, and got it in a good position. Could this work as a square/vertical crop?

orangeillini14: Focus: check; composition: check. Well done!

JDDavis: Neat! Great comp-- nice to finally see another vertical! Taking us to a different place... The red smudge in the background?? (Like your Zen site-- started getting dizzy...)

MacRy: What a lonely bird... Taken from behind makes him even more forlorn. If that’s a starling, he can keep his distance :p.

DirtySocks85: Why not indeed! Like I didn’t already have a hard enough time choosing a winner... :rolleyes: That’s the cardinal shot I want a chance at. Gorgeous color with the scarlet, blue, and subtle earth tones. Great shot-- if the sunlight blessed us three inches higher, fantastic.

1ST PLACE: Fezwick! :D :D :D

2ND PLACE: milbournosphere

3RD PLACE: Cheese&Apple

Congrats & thanks to all!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Congrats to Fezwick for the winning photo, and thanks Photoshopper for judging as well as lending your insightful critiques.

Photoshopper: You should come visit Kansas in the winter. Cardinal sightings around here aren't all that rare, and if you know where to go you're bound to have a good moment pop up in front of you.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Great job Photoshopper...thank you.

Fezwick, I love your shot...beautiful. I've been hanging-out in the yard lately (freezing my buns off) trying to get a shot of one of these little guys. Never thought to try the Christmas nut mix. :)

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the second place nod! And yes, you're right on, that's exactly why I pulled it to black and white. This is one of those cases where color actually detracts from the photo, in my opinion, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.