Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_2012_interface-150x92.jpg
Taiwan's Central News Agency reports (via Patently Apple) that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Precision, is currently working with Apple to test several designs for an Apple television set in the range of 46-55 inches.
Hon Hai, the world's largest contract electronics maker, has declined to respond to the reports, saying that it never comments on specific business deals with any single client.

However, the Hon Hai source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the initial phase of tests on the TVs has kicked off.

Nevertheless, the source said it is unlikely that shipments of the appliances will begin as soon as the end of next year.
The source claims that Apple may be looking to show off its new television products at CES next month in Las Vegas, but that seems difficult to believe given Apple's penchant for avoiding trade shows and for holding its own media events to introduce its products as close as possible to launch. With the report apparently claiming that Apple's television sets are unlikely to launch in 2013 and other recent claims that Apple's television projects are being slowed by difficult content negotiations, there would be little chance of Apple showing off anything at CES.

The report notes that using displays in the claimed range of 46-55 inches gives Apple flexibility in deciding on one or more vendors to supply LCD panels for the television sets. Foxconn has worked closely with Sharp and has made an investment in a Sharp LCD factory, but the report's source indicates that it is unlikely that Sharp panels will be used in the Apple television set.

Article Link: Foxconn Reportedly Testing Designs for 46-55 Inch Apple Television Sets

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
I find it interesting that they are discussing 46" and higher....even larger than I would have expected. Could be very interesting for the market...but I seriously doubt that there would be anything at CES this year.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
I love Apple products, but I don't see myself ever buying an Apple-branded TV. I'll stick with my Sony/Samsung with an external box (i.e. Apple TV).

mklaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
apple tv would be a game changer! would buy one in an instant, especially since i'm holding out on purchasing a new tv and sticking with ym old 37" for now!

really thought one would be out for next year's holidays, but apparently not.
:(

mklaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
i would bet a 55" apple tv would run about $4900.

and i'll still buy it. (damn you apple!)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'm no insider/analyst, but they will NOT be at CES. Not Apple's style. Too early.

Everyone is so quick to say you won't buy an Apple TV, but wait until they reveal it. Guarantee everyone's story will change. TV Set w/ set top box built it or solely a standalone set top box.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
At the end of every single year, we see a rumor that the TV is 2 years out... I guess they'll be right eventually.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It'd have to justify itself for me to buy it. I'm happy with my current TV and Apple TV, but 99% of the TV I watch is on demand.

If they get the content right, sleek interface with Siri, along with integration into my Sky package somehow, I might just buy it.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I'll be happy if they top out at 55 inch. That way I won't be interested in getting one and can save some coin. I'm worried they'll hit 60 and get into my range.

It's really touches on why I never thought they'd gt into the TV market. Too many people have too wide a range on needs. Pulse, even only a few 55 inch sets in the back will tax their storage in store. Maybe they'll be on display at the stores, but online only, at least for the big ones.

I only hope they don't do anything an Apple TV does.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
What a great marketing idea... so Apple releases the 55" with the A5 processor regular screen, then 3 months later releases it with a A6 processor with Retina Display making everyone TV obsolete..

I would love to see a Apple TV with Retina display..

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple showing off a TV set at CES? Haha.....haven't laughed this hard in a while....

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Some news is better than NO news... Although i really wish that they could release an Apple TV ASAP!!!

Also, just because an actual television is 1+year(s) away, doesn't mean that Apple couldn't introduce an entertainment package brought to the masses via the apple tv set top box!!

I give this update a 4-Apple's rating.

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
(Note: Just imagining; this isn't a projection.)

Imagine a 4k TV for the price of a high-end "Full" HDTV...

Delegator

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
As others have said, Apple doesn't do CES. Why get lost in the noise of that crowd when you can get global news coverage for a standalone event?

I'm most interested in two aspects of the purported Apple television:
  1. What does it bring to the table beyond what a run-of-the-mill TV will give?
  2. How will Apple achieve their usual margins without pricing themselves out of the market?

It's too obvious to say that it could be a TV with integrated Apple TV functionality, because there is no way to add the functionality of a $99 set top box to a normal TV and get decent margins. It has to be more than that. I'm leaving it to the brains in Sunnyvale to come up with something that we didn't know we needed in a television.

The other question, of course, is the name of the device. The name iTV is already taken, and Apple TV is already in use for a different product. How about the Holodeck? :D

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I'm betting that an Apple TV will have a front facing camera on it.

A telepresence feature would need a sensor (camera) to detect when someone is in the room in order to perform some programmed action such as turn the TV on from standby mode, increase or decrease volume, etc.

And as has been Apple's recent practice, this camera would NOT have any sort of warning light to let you know that it was on.

iMacs have a green warning light telling you when the camera is on and active. But none of the iPods, iPads, iPhones have any such warning light.

Why is that???

And there is no hardware control to turn off the camera either. Creepy.

Check out this link:

Smart TVs can spy on their owners

http://rt.com/usa/news/smart-tv-security-access-092/

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I'm betting that an Apple TV will have a front facing camera on it.

A telepresence feature would need a sensor (camera) to detect when someone is in the room in order to perform some programmed action such as turn the TV on from standby mode, increase or decrease volume, etc.

And as has been Apple's recent practice, this camera would NOT have any sort of warning light to let you know that it was on.

iMacs have a green warning light telling you when the camera is on and active. But none of the iPods, iPads, iPhones have any such warning light.

Why is that???

And there is no hardware control to turn off the camera either. Creepy.

Think I'm being paranoid? Check out this link:

Smart TVs can spy on their owners

http://rt.com/usa/news/smart-tv-security-access-092/

unless you jailbroken your iphone/ipad/ipod the camera is off the second you closed the app that uses the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.