Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Scosche today unveiled its weatherproof boomBOTTLE, an omnidirectional outdoor speaker that is designed to fit in standard bicycle bottle cages, providing streaming music while biking, hiking, camping, and participating in other outdoor activities.

The boomBOTTLE incorporates 40mm drivers along with a passive subwoofer, and a built-in lithium-ion battery offers 10 hours of playback per charge.

scoscheboomBOTTLE-500x215.jpg
Scosche's speaker has a durable TPU exterior that is designed to withstand vibrations from rough terrain riding and a splash proof casing makes it usable even when exposed to rain and sweat. Charging and audio ports remain accessible through a top flap.

With its built-in microphone, the boomBOTTLE can be used as a speakerphone, and it features Bluetooth connectivity with a range of 33 feet.

Scosche has also debuted RH1060 Reference Grade Bluetooth Headphones, a new wireless option for its line of reference grade headphones. The over-ear headphones use 40mm neodymium magnet drivers and feature ear cups made from viscoelastic memory foam.

The boomBOTTLE and the RH1060 Headphones are currently on display at CES, which lasts from January 8 to January 11. Pricing and release date have yet to be announced.

Article Link: CES 2013: Scosche Introduces Weatherproof BoomBOTTLE Speaker For Cyclists and Outdoor Enthusiasts

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
"Wow, this cycle in the wilderness sure is thirsty work - I'd better have a drink, I don't want to dehydrate."

"Oh wait..."

"Curse my inability to not listen to music and just enjoy the peace and quiet of nature for more that five minutes at a time!"

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Lovely.... I already have to deal with bikers thinking they own the entire road, now I get to listen to them jamming to Michael Bolton too?

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
First off, I NEED the water bottle holder on my bike to hold my water bottle, hence the reason i put it there. Second of all, what benefit does this have to a solitary bike rider over headphones?

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
How about the ability to still hear the traffic around you?
This expensive water bottle provides a much safer way to listen to music while biking.

Not to mention that it is ILLEGAL to wear headphones while riding in most jurisdictions. Bicycles move too fast for the riders to be unaware of their surroundings.

That being said, I also don't want to force the world around me to listen to my music while I ride. When I stop, though, or if I am inside on a trainer or rollers, this would be a good option. Earphones can slip out, headphones can get too sweaty.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Nothing wrong with more bike accessories on the market even though I'd personally never rock a speaker like this. Not only are bike speakers better than headphones in that you can actually hear your surroundings, but like "DesterWallaboo" points out they make you a little more noticeable to others as well; peds and joggers do not like being buzzed by quiet cyclists (I use a bell). The speakerphone feature is interesting. I wonder if there's an alternate way to attach it to a bike without using a bottle cage.

I wonder what the sound quality is like, the handful of portable / bike speakers I've heard being used out in the world sound kinda junky.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
How about the ability to still hear the traffic around you?
This expensive water bottle provides a much safer way to listen to music while biking.

Yeah except the "expensive water bottle" isn't even a water bottle. If it was a water bottle in addition to a speaker then that would be different. This thing just wastes the space on my bike where my water should be.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Yeah except the "expensive water bottle" isn't even a water bottle. If it was a water bottle in addition to a speaker then that would be different. This thing just wastes the space on my bike where my water should be.
Assuming that you put it in the cage that you use for your main water bottle. The form factor allows it to be placed into any water bottle cage mounted anywhere. If you use a Camelbak, it can free up the cage for other uses, too.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Assuming that you put it in the cage that you use for your main water bottle. The form factor allows it to be placed into any water bottle cage mounted anywhere. If you use a Camelbak, it can free up the cage for other uses, too.

People still use water bottles? 24 ounces isnt enough for a long ride, so I need the CamelBAK. This is an awesome idea, who cares if others can here your music?? I have to hear and feel every thug's music driving down the road.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Interesting, but I'd never use it. Not that I don't want some tunes when I'm riding- since I ride to commute to work, I'm all too happy to have some good, fast music to ride along to. And I rarely use the water bottle holder anymore- as has already been pointed out, a CamelBAK holds a lot more and is a lot more convenient to use when riding than a traditional water bottle.

I'd never use it because I have a far better solution- a 'Soundbug' surface transducer mounted to my helmet that connects via BlueTooth and uses the helmet itself as a speaker while not interfering with my ability to hear my surroundings. Only real downside to it is that you can't do much besides adjust the volume on it, but once my Pebble gets here I should be able to control the playback from it while on the bike.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I agree this is a great idea. Not everyone cycles for exploring / enjoying nature. If you cycle as your main means of transport or as a way of working out, I'm sure you'll appreciate being able to have your tunes with you.

As others have said, you can't hold enough water in the standard racks anyways, so you aught to find another way of taking water with you. I have a (manly) basket attached to the handlebars for water, maps, food, etc.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Interesting, but I'd never use it. Not that I don't want some tunes when I'm riding- since I ride to commute to work, I'm all too happy to have some good, fast music to ride along to. And I rarely use the water bottle holder anymore- as has already been pointed out, a CamelBAK holds a lot more and is a lot more convenient to use when riding than a traditional water bottle.

I'd never use it because I have a far better solution- a 'Soundbug' surface transducer mounted to my helmet that connects via BlueTooth and uses the helmet itself as a speaker while not interfering with my ability to hear my surroundings. Only real downside to it is that you can't do much besides adjust the volume on it, but once my Pebble gets here I should be able to control the playback from it while on the bike.
That is a much better idea, thanks. Will have to look at doing something like that when I start commuting to work again in a few weeks.

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
Don't worry guys

I'm soon going to be launching my in ear water buds. We are still ironing out the Bluetooth straw technology but we are hoping that within the year you'll be able to drink a full 1.2cc of warm water wirelessly whilst cycling.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So who will be the first to dehydrate and sue the company?

Last thing I want is some gangsta wannabee riding around blasting "this is why I'm hot" while I'm focused on climbing steep hills on my mountain bike

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I used to listen to music on my iPhone's loudspeaker until I realized how much I hated it. You don't need music to connect with nature (it's rule #62 in The Rules, so it must be true)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Great...now the bike paths will be filled with music.

----------

I agree this is a great idea. Not everyone cycles for exploring / enjoying nature. If you cycle as your main means of transport or as a way of working out, I'm sure you'll appreciate being able to have your tunes with you.

As others have said, you can't hold enough water in the standard racks anyways, so you aught to find another way of taking water with you. I have a (manly) basket attached to the handlebars for water, maps, food, etc.

But everyone else will have to hear your music too.

Today's version of the boom box :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.