Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_display-150x200.jpg
Earlier this month, Digitimes claimed that Apple was planning to launch a larger and cheaper iPhone in the second half of this year, seeking to make an impact on emerging markets and combat the growing screen sizes seen on Android devices.

Rumors of cheaper and larger iPhones as part of a multi-pronged product strategy for Apple have continued to circulate, but the idea of a new iPhone being both larger and cheaper drew skepticism and questions about how the company would be able to accomplish both goals in a single device.

Digitimes has now published a new report backtracking on its earlier claim and indicating that Apple only plans to launch two new 4-inch iPhone models in 2013, presumably the iPhone 5S and some form of a new iPhone 5, perhaps revamped into a cheaper form factor based around a plastic shell. A larger iPhone is reportedly still in the works, but will not be seeing a launch this year.
Previously it was said that Apple would release a lower-cost version of its iPhone with a bigger screen in 2013. But the sources claimed that Apple is indeed developing an iPhone with a bigger screen, but that will not be among the models to be launched this year.

One of the two versions to be introduced this year will target the midrange market segment, but both will adopt in-cell touch technology.
The report notes that Apple may struggle to bring in-cell display technology to a lower-cost iPhone given issues with yields on the panels, which allow for the thinner profile seen on the iPhone 5, but yields on the new technology are reportedly improving.

Article Link: Digitimes Backtracks on Earlier Claim of Larger, Cheaper iPhone

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
As expected.

If we get a bigger screen, it'll be the iPhone 6 in 2014 and not the iPhone 5S this year. Expect internal upgrades and maybe colors in 2013. The thing this year will be iOS 7. Last year, it was more about hardware. It's pretty easy to follow their pattern, just not the dates.

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
I'm not against a larger iPhone as long as the customer has a choice. I think offering the iPhone is 2 different sizes is a great idea (as long as they are both updated, not discounted previous year models). Some people feel the need for a larger screen and some feel that they don't. Nothing wrong with catering to both crowds.

Zero!sOne

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Pennsylvania
This makes much more sense. Apple doesn't want to keep selling old 30-pin devices now that Lightning is the new standard. I think we'll see something like this for the 3 price categories:

- 5S: new processor + other new features
- current 5: $100 less
- new "cheap" phone: cheaper body and innards, still with 4" screen, free with contract

Apple wouldn't split out a whole new category of phone. They're just going to quicken the phase out period of the 4S.

Last edited:

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I really don't like this idea of having a "bigger" iPhone...
It's like Apple is just listening to customer's demand, but not being the "leader", creating something that will make the user think: "why didn't I think of this" or... "Apple is right!"

sigh.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Digitimes: "Here's this incredible story, supported by insider contacts, confirmed accurate, click here to read it!"

1,000,000 clicks worth of ad revenue later...

"Oh wait, no scratch that, we were totally wrong."

Last edited:

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Since this is just a rumor, I will add my two cents. Personally, I'd rather see Apple release a quality high end larger iPhone next to the iPhone 5 update, rather than a cheaper plastic iPhone.

I think a cheaper plastic iPhone would be a step backwards for Apple. I like their current strategy of offering the previous model for less after the iPhone is updated better.

A larger screen iPhone done right is more important in my opinion. That is where the trend seems to be moving. Apple can do it better, and I have no doubt that they will. What to call it tho? The iPhone Max? The iPhone Plus? The Mega-iPhone? Lol.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Theres a man rumoured to be walking down the street.. He has size 4 shoes.. No wait they are size 5, I mean 7s Oh well he is wearing shoes I can see him coming a mile away!

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Whatever it is, iOS7 better be huge.

I have a really bad feeling that the whole "iPhone package" won't see a game changing update until iPhone 6 and iOS 8.

I don't think it's been long enough since the shake up at Apple to see positive changes trickle through to the end product.

I reckon the iPhone 6 will be a huge hardware upgrade (more than 4S to 5), maybe in the form of different coloured iPhones? and I think iOS 7 will be what Snow Leopard was to Leopard (bug fixes, stability, speed, efficiency).

I'm not holding my breath until iPhone 6 and iOS 8

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
My prediction

Larger future iPhone = "iPhone"
4" future iPhone model = "iPhone mini"

I can't imagine Apple slapping a horrible name on their flagship iPhone. At least the "mini" is something that has been used previously.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
what a big surprise :rolleyes:

In any case Apple to needs to step up with it's iOS... it's gotten stale and cumbersome.

I'm hoping to see widgets, easier access to settings (BT, wifi, etc), better multitasking / better way to switch between apps.

Probably a pipe dream... but guess we'll see.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
... Is Page 2 not working? The retracted rumor should have never made it to the front page.

They're never going to build a "cheaper, bigger iPhone." It's a headline meant to grab attention, nothing more.

Apple's product line is now nothing more than choosing the screen size that fits the job you need (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop.) So what's the "next big thing?" Here's a hint: It's not a TV with an :apple: on it. :cool:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This is quite sobering after the cacophony that went on when the rumour resurfaced the other day.

...carry on...

Now if the iPad mini would allow for voice calls ...

Gluben

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
My prediction:

iPhone 5S = cheaper iPhone but still 4 inches; marketed as improved iPhone 5; similar to MacBook

iPhone 6 = more expensive option; also 4 inches but more premium features; similar to MacBook Pro

Then continue this every year with 6S and 7, 7S and 8 etc.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Hopefully, iOS 7 will see some welcomed changes, and i think it'll be one of the biggest updates to iOS.
As far as hardware goes, we will see a 5S looking exactly like the 5 with the usual spec bumps + 1 new feature not available on the 5. I don't think it will be NFC, but more like a camera/flash upgrade.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
I don't blame macrumors, but anyone else think all these tech sites guessing about apple's next big thing every other week is getting ridiculous?

"apple will release next iphone"
"apple will release it in june"
"apple may release a cheaper phone"
"apple may not release a cheaper phone"
"apple may not release a cheaper phone this year but probably will next year"

These people need to find something else to do
zzzzzzz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.