Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released its Cloud Player app for the iPad, some six months after it came out for the iPhone and iPod touch.

NewImage6.png
Your music. Everywhere. Listen to your music collection from the cloud on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad anywhere you are. You can download or stream your library from the cloud - or play the music you already have on your device.
Amazon has made several moves to expand its cloud music platform in recent months. It has optimized its music store for mobile Safari, made free digital copies of all CDs ever purchased on Amazon.com, and introduced a new "scan and match" service similar to iTunes Match.

Amazon Cloud Player is available free for iPhone or iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Releases Cloud Music Player for iPad

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I always buy albums from Amazon now (downloadable ones) rather than buying them from iTunes.

They're usually at least half the price (often even cheaper). I just download them with their MP3 Downloader app, and then iTunes Match them to ensure they're of a high quality.

I've saved loads since I started buying music from Amazon over iTunes!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The new configurable cache size is a much needed addition. Works as advertised. :)

I didn't bring my iPad with me today, so I won't be able to check that out until later, but the screengrabs make it look sort of modal with popover screens:

mzl.xfihkorz.480x480-75.jpg

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I'm happy with Music Match. I can stream my entire music library to my iPad mini and not need to waste space. I do have a boatload of albums on Amazon though, but I re-bought much of it when Apple started hosting purchased music.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I'm happy with Music Match. I can stream my entire music library to my iPad mini and not need to waste space. I do have a boatload of albums on Amazon though, but I re-bought much of it when Apple started hosting purchased music.

Dear furi0usbee, we love you. Signed, the music industry.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Pretty much... can't count how many times I've bought Beatles stuff...

I know people who get all their music for free. I personally don't mind paying for it. If I don't mind a $25 audiobook, what's $1.29.

drury2328

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
This is great

This was much needed and I am looking forwardto seeing the Ipad version rather than having to expand the iphone app. I have recently really started to appreciate the functionality of ipad-version apps.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Until there's internet access "everywhere", these streaming music services are a semi-functional novelty. As soon as you leave the house, you are jumping between connections wherever you can find one. That's how we're supposed to listen to music? ...and when you're at home, you've already got all your music on itunes, playable over better devices or streaming over your local network. Out walking around on your cell connection? Your limited data plan gets chewed up in no time, & worse, gets your connection throttled, making it an expensive proposition.

Not once have I found a scenario where streaming music from a cloud service provides any benefit.

Last edited:

sunspot42

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Still Junk

I subscribed to their Cloud Player service a month ago. So far it's pretty much a complete bust. The upload process took ages, the mobile player for iOS is worthless, and even thru a browser at work it can't stream reliably or consistently.

This latest release can't even download the library's table of contents onto my iPhone properly (the last release took about 10 minutes to accomplish this task - I would love to know how it can take that long to download a list of music files over a Wifi connection).

Incompetence, thy name is Amazon.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Not once have I found a scenario where streaming music from a cloud service provides any benefit.
IMO Pandora is better than radio (fewer commercials and customizable 'stations') while Spotify lets you listen any song in their catalog for free (though there are many more commercials than on Pandora). If choose to go the paid route with Spotify you can download songs and listen locally for times when you aren't connected to the cloud.

bobsax

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
can amazon music for mac replace itunes?

. The upload process took ages, the mobile player for iOS is worthless, and even thru a browser at work it can't stream reliably or consistently.

Incompetence, thy name is Amazon.

I just started the Amazon cloud service since I'm tired of having to deal with the 25K iTunes limit.
So far I think the iPad app is awesome . Way better then IOS iTunes.
I have Amazon Prime and was streaming the latest Lady Gaga with lyrics displayed actively with the song.

I does seem to be talking awhile to upload My entire library from iTunes.

Has anybody tried the app for mac?
I think it's supposed to replace iTunes on your mac ?
However, I'm not finding if you are able to transfer the iTunes library on your mac directly to it ?

bobsax

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
does anybody still use Amazon music. ? The $25 a year subscription that uploads all your music the way Apple Match was supposed to? Now that Match has upped the limit I'd like to get the music out of Amazon back in the iCloud but I can't seem to figure out how to get Amazon to show me all the music I have uploaded so that I can download it again .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.