Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

angry_birds_in_app_purchase.jpg
As noted by The Guardian, Apple today rolled out a new "Offers In-App Purchases" disclosure directly underneath the Buy/Free button for App Store apps supporting the feature. The addition helps make clear to potential purchasers that free or even paid apps may require additional purchases in order to unlock the apps' full functionality or for other benefits such as acquiring in-game currency.
The new tagline is currently only appearing in the desktop version of the App Store that sits within iTunes. For now, it's not shown in the iOS App Store app, nor does it appear on webpages for iOS apps.

Apple confirmed to The Guardian that the message is a new addition to the App Store. Its location - directly below the icon and "Free" button on each app's page - makes it even easier for people to identify that an app uses in-app purchases (IAP) before downloading it.
Apple just recently settled a lawsuit over the issue of children being able to make unauthorized in-app purchases sometimes totaling as much as thousands of dollars. With today's move, Apple is clearly attempting to make it even more clear to users before they download or purchase an app whether it includes In-App Purchase content.

The report notes that Apple could easily use the new disclosure to deploy a filter that would allow parents to restrict their children's downloads to only free apps with no In-App Purchase content, but the company has not yet taken that step.

Update: The notifications are now on the iOS App Store as well.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'Offers In-App Purchases' Disclosure for App Store Apps [Update: Now on iOS Stores]

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The disclosure is a good start. But if the process is still flawed (I don't know if it is or is not) and/or the default for in-app purchases isn't set to "off" - then this isn't enough in my opinion. Perhaps enough to have more of a case against refunding. But not enough protection (for the customer) from what has happened in the past.

Last edited:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Forgive my ignorance, but if you make an in-app purchase, doesn't it require your password? :confused:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to crab about this seemingly simple and reasonable little addition, which does no harm to anyone, and adds no restrictions at all to the Buyers "freedom".

It took 5 posts!

I guess for some, life is not fun if you can't complain...

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Already a bunch of naysayers (pretty standard for any apple news), but I think this is great. I'm not worried about making accidental purchases, but I like having a quick way to know if I'm buying an entire app or if they are going to nickel and dime me for "add ons" or anything else. It's commendable to be creating more informed consumers.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I actually like seeing this, since it can give me a little bit of an idea about how the app works (ads, IAP). However, I would MUCH rather see Apple go back to a list of results when searching through an app instead of having to thumb through each one individually.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Forgive my ignorance, but if you make an in-app purchase, doesn't it require your password? :confused:

Yes. Of course, some people _are_ stupid and give their kids a password and the kids know the credit card. More problematic, once you enter the password (to download a free app), it keeps working for 15 minutes. Which is excellent if you are looking for a dozen songs to download and don't have to enter your password each time, but bad if your kids can buy super power berries for $100 in a game.

An improvement to the password "15 minute" rule would be to allow no purchases more expensive than the original one. So: Free game -> no paid purchases. 99cent game -> no purchases over 99cent. That would stop the worst cases, but you can still download a dozen songs within fifteen minutes.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple just recently settled a lawsuit over the issue of children being able to make unauthorized in-app purchases sometimes totaling as much as thousands of dollar.

They don't mention of course that a phone call to Apple is enough to get the money refunded, as long as you say that an underage person made the purchase, or the purchase was made by mistake (pressing the wrong button). So these people appearing in UK newspapers, whose kids spend $1000 and more, didn't actually lose a penny.

NOW it does. Didn't at first, thus the lawsuits when kids were racking up thousands of dollars in in-app purchases without anyone's consent.

No, the lawsuits weren't about people losing thousands of dollars, because the parents didn't actually lose any money. Everything was refunded as soon as they asked for it. The lawsuit was about people where kids purchased things for a dollar or two and the parents didn't spend time thinking about how they could get the money back.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Yes because all parents do is play with their kids, they never need the kids to be quiet for half an hour while you cook dinner etc.

Love ya, man!

I'm guessing most vocal "bad parenting" pricks are either barren or have a stay-at-home wife that does all the work for little recognition... (Gross generalization, I admit!)

I'm a single father and and coming back from work/school means cooking a good healthy dinner, so it is TV time until it is ready.

Of course, I could microwave something unhealthy then maybe I'd be considered a good parent...

Anyways, app store password restriction is set to "immediately", as well as disabled app deletion... For when I'm being a bad parent while driving 2 hours to some relatives...

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
The report notes that Apple could easily use the new disclosure to deploy a filter that would allow parents to restrict their children's downloads to only free apps with no In-App Purchase content, but the company has not yet taken that step.

That wouldn't leave anything left to download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.