157 mpg!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dandaman, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Dandaman macrumors 6502

2. naturetrance macrumors newbie

3. taytho macrumors 6502

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're going to find that it gets 157 MPG only when it is running at constant low highway speeds, where its low coefficient of drag comes into play. A slippery body doesn't mean too much at city speeds. The most efficient car in the world gets zero miles per gallon while idling at a stoplight... which is the theory behind the hybids that allow the gas engine to be turned off during low demand.

Also note that the LS version, which gets the 157 mpg, has a top speed of about 55 mph and they don't say anything about acceleration. The sport version, which they quote acceleration figures for, they don't quote MPG :rolleyes:

6. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

For $13,610 bucks!? Sign me up! (if, that is, its safe)

7. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

157 mpg
    seating for 4
    no doors - the whole front including the windshield lifts forward, so you can get into the car standing up.
    weighs 450 kg or about 1000 lbs.
    available world wide in 2009.

This seems really really cool.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not quite...here are the specs. The LS model has a top speed of 160 km/h (100 mph). Acceleration is horrid. The GT uses almost twice as much gas as the LS.

9. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

http://www.loremo.com/daten_en.php
    lower model has a top speed of 160km/hr or about 100 mph. It goes 0-60 in about 20 seconds.
    high end model goes 220 km/hr or about 140mph. 0-60 in about 9 seconds.

An average economy car today goes 0-60 in probably like 17 seconds.

As far as having to go 55mph to get the advertised mileage? Well this is true for all cars. Think about it though, this car has a 2 cylinder diesel engine. It's going to be incredibly efficient.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sorry, I misread it as km/h

It's a neat bit of spin the way they quoted the MPG of the LS, and then the performance of the Sport, glossing over that little fact :(

= Vaporware.

Meh.
    Wake me up when there's something real to talk about.

11. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Can you show me such a car? I imagine you'll be hard pressed to find a car (other than a huge hulking gas guzzler) than goes 0-60 in more than 12 seconds. Your entry level Corollas, Civics, and Elantras are all around 8-10 seconds.

0-60 in 20 seconds is ridiculous...you'll never be able to merge onto a freeway.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Road & Track tested the Ford Escape XLT and Hybrid (both FWD), the new Civic EX and Hybrid NAVI, and the Camry SE V6 and Hybrid. The fastest was the Camry SE, at 6.1s, and the slowest was the Civic Hybrid, at 10.1s. The slowest to 60 in their Summary, is the Prius (1st gen I think, tested in May '01) at 11.6s. And just for kicks, the Scion xB would take approximately 34s to hit 100.

By the time you hit 135, you'll already be where you're going!

And it would only take you 20 days! :p

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am sorry, but we need to start to relook at our lives. The greed that drives the "need" for cars that so 0-60mph in under 10 seconds needs to be looked at.

At least they way I looked at my visit to London in February, there seems to a disconnect between the US and and the rest of EU as to what we should and could drive. At least in Iceland they made a well thought of issue for 4x4's. Though it did not mean that I did not see a good share of Ford Focus or Toyota Yaris vehicles.

As much as I would want this car, I did the math on the Toyota Prius and my 3yo Subaru Baja. Given the low annual milage I drive (about 7-10K a year), there is no way that it would make sense for me to trade. I am better off paying the loan, and soaking up the "excess profits" that the oil companies are getting.

Th only benefit that I wold see is a psychological one, cutting down my bi-weekly gas costs in half.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Anyone else getting that "$12,000 DeLorean" feeling?

Volkswagen already made a 3L/100km Lupo (~78mpg) and they didn't take it out of Europe.

They understood that with its small size, very little power and lack of convenience features there would be a limited market for such a vehicle, especially when they have to ask for more money for less car.

This thing is supposed to weigh less than 1000 lbs. I just don't see how that's possible without it either being a total deathtrap or using massive amounts of carbon fiber and aluminium. The webpage says it uses steel and costs €12,000. They explain it away by talking about some special structural design. Mainstream automakers spend billions on R&D and haven't produced a steel car weighing less than 2000 lbs in quite some time. There's a reason for that.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Your comments sounds as if you live in the US.

At 60mph a trip from the DC area to SF takes just 48 hours (or two days if you allow for a solo driver and proper rest).

Speed at taking off from a stoplight is not all the end all be all. I don't know how many times I caught up with a driver that did well above the posted limit, weaving in and out - only to catch up with them at a traffic light.

In the end I saved gas and stress,

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, 1-5-7 MPG! :eek:

I wish that my car got that kind of gas mileage! :rolleyes: :)

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My car gets 54 highway (real life numbers), weighs a touch under 3000lbs and has about 160ft-lbs of torque. It also climbs like a goat with all that low-end grunt.

20hp on a turbodiesel = generously about 35ft-lbs torque.

1000/35=28.5
    3000/160=18.75

To Hell with taking off from stoplights, this thing couldn't climb a slight grade at 65 mph on an interstate highway. Like a loaded tractor, you'd have to gear down and floor it to keep it above 50.

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, but you have the machine guns and the ejector seat, so its all good.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This is true. Those little things easily make up for the poor gas mileage that MI-6's cars get. :) ;)

How anyone can live without machine guns, rockets, and a refrigerated champagne compartment built-in to their cars I will never know. :rolleyes: ;) :)

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Care to share this option?

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

TDI

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Should have seen that coming. :)

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Perfect, because "huge hulking gas guzzlers" make up a massive chunk of the US market.

Ah yes, but other than the selfish consumerism promoted throughout the world, especially in America when it comes to cars and driving, there isn't anything wrong with 0-60 mph in 9 seconds, and at the prices they're asking for, it would be competitive. Unfortunately, people won't judge based on their needs and on benefitting the environment. People are selfish and will not buy this cheap car because a Civic might get to 60 mph a second faster. Also, it's an unconventional car, so the conformists definitely won't go for it.

Personally, I think it's about time that people begin to realize that they're going to have to make a sacrifice in performance in order to minimize damage to the environment, and to preserve what little petrol we have left. Instead of buying the car that can go 220 km/h, which nobody really drives at anyway, they're going to have to get a car that "only goes to 160 km/h", which is faster than most people drive anyway (in most countries), so I don't see what the big deal is. The large majority wouldn't notice this performance difference. It'll only look bad on the specs page, but in their own reality, it won't matter much. Despite that, people will buy the car that can get to 220 km/h because people are quite selfish, and even if they'll never drive that fast in their entire lives, they still want it.

25. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I don't need a lot of acceleration, but I need to be able to keep driving at 80 km/h uphill. Can it do that with only 20hp? I doubt it can if you add 250 kg worth of passengers and baggage.

The GT could be fine, though, and it still uses only 0,25l per 10 km.