Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
WildCowboy said:
Not quite...here are the specs. The LS model has a top speed of 160 km/h (100 mph). Acceleration is horrid. The GT uses almost twice as much gas as the LS.

WildCowboy said:
Can you show me such a car? I imagine you'll be hard pressed to find a car (other than a huge hulking gas guzzler) than goes 0-60 in more than 12 seconds. Your entry level Corollas, Civics, and Elantras are all around 8-10 seconds.

0-60 in 20 seconds is ridiculous...you'll never be able to merge onto a freeway.

Agreed. Have fun trying to get to California highway speeds in that 20hp thing....
Besides, I'll believe it when I see it on the road.

/Is tired of all the "potential" fuel saving vehicles that never make it to production

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
I am sorry, but we need to start to relook at our lives. The greed that drives the "need" for cars that so 0-60mph in under 10 seconds needs to be looked at.

Well for me I dont think I could go back to having a car that takes more than 8 sec to get 60. Now do I normally get to 60 in under 10. No not very offen but when I need the power or accelration I have it. I grown very used to it. When I drive any of my parents cars or my brother car I end up flooring them unknownly just to get the acceleration I am used to. In my car I dont floor it that offen. That being said I drive a Sentra Spec V so larger engine small car that is set up to race off the lot. But I still get desent gas mileage at highway speeds.

Times that it comes in handly. At a stop light I need to get over 1 lane (either made a mistake and didnt move over in time to begin with or just couldnt get over). I able to blaste a head and make a lane change.

Having to pull out into traffic doing 60+ from a dead stop and not a large amount of room to do it. Being able to get up to speed is a safety thing.

That or pulling out and relazing that room was tight I can floor it and get out of the mess.

And before some says they are all driver error. You are right most of them are but then again no one perfect driver who makes no mistakes. It be that ONE time that you make that mistake that you would wish your car had the accerlation to pull out of it.

That being said there is a lot of merit in the safety side of it. Plus it nice to have the power for passing on a 2 lane road. You are able to gun the car and get around the guy in frount of you quicker and out of on coming traffic.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
gekko513 said:
I don't need a lot of acceleration, but I need to be able to keep driving at 80 km/h uphill. Can it do that with only 20hp? I doubt it can if you add 250 kg worth of passengers and baggage.

I doubt that it would do very well at all. 20hp just does not seem like enough power to do that.

gekko513 said:
The GT could be fine, though, and it still uses only 0,25l per 10 km.

The GT would be better, but still not very good.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
You all have good points, but look at it this way: There ARE people who's lifestyles or needs demand that car.
I just filled my truck up yesterday and got a few extra gallons for the lawn tractor. $78.00. And that's at only 3.00 a gallon. The truck gets, on a good day, 20mpg. My car, a Taurus, gets 22mpg. Our van gets 25+ on the highway. I drive 12 miles to work on flat midwestern roads with one stoplight and 4 turns. I sell the truck and the car and get enough to buy (up to) 157mpg. It will cost me nothing to run, in fact saving me nearly an infinite amount of money.
I was talking to a friend who bought a hybrid. The verdict? HATED it. Why? Just didn't have that "punch" they were used to... like flooring it at a green light to rush to the next red light... I asked about the mileage... "GREAT! but I don't want this car any more" ... the mentality HAS to change here. I've been looking at the Smart car (http://www.smart.com) and I'm on their waiting list. The problem there is that by the time it's "Americanized" (read: Guzzle-readied) that car goes from 65mpg to a more wasteful 40. WTF? Does it pass through the White House "Big Oil" division after import? In Canada you can get the diesel which get 70+mpg.
What will they do to THIS car?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Anyone remember the:

Small Wonder tv series?

I recall an episode where the Vicki (sp?) designed or tweaked an engine at a mechanic shop where the car got 1000+ miles to the gallon.

but one tank of fuel gone and the car would blow up, or at least the engine would.

now why hasnt anyone tweaked this idea? do we really have to design cute childlike robots to do this for us?

in the end, when all cars are Hybrid (Toyota says it will have all models Hybridized by 2010) the technology might have it so that the car that is hybrid vs its total gas previous counterpart will get 2x the MPGs. Which is good enough for now.

Getting 18MPG in a bullsh** SUV and then getting 36MPG might not look much to those who went from say the 35MPG Camry to the 70MPG Hybrid Camry. But a reduction in gas consumed is a gallon or two saved...and a few dollars saved at the pump.

my Matrix gets about a flat 32-35MPG no matter where I drive or how I drive, as long as its not like a madman flooring it all the time. and until this car explodes, in about 8-10 years, I will buy another car that I would expect to get twice the MPG I currently do. Thusly Id buy a Hybrid, cuz like I said with the technology progressing the MPGs will always go up.

until we have another fuel, or no more gas, having a gas/electric car is the way to go without being pussified into a lower HP car and all that other bunk jerks complain about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.