Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has dropped the price on some of its refurbished iPads, offering an additional $50 discount on the iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G and the third generation iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular.

Earlier this month, the entry level iPad 2 with 3G capabilities was priced at $399, but now the tablet can be purchased for $349, a total savings of $180. The entry level third generation cellular iPad was previously priced at $459, but can now be purchased for $409, a total savings of $170.

refurbishedipadpricedrop.jpg

The price drop applies to all refurbished second and third generation iPads with cellular capabilities, regardless of storage capacity. With 32GB and 64GB of storage, the iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G is priced at $429 and $529, while the 32GB and 64GB versions of the 3rd generation iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular cost $499 and $579.

Apple is not offering further discounts on the Wi-Fi only versions of the second and third generation iPads, which remain priced at $319 and $379 for 16GB, respectively.

As always, the availability of refurbished products from Apple's online store is subject to rapid change. Refurbished units include the same one-year warranty as standard products, plus a new battery and outer shell.

Thanks, Phil!

Article Link: Apple Cuts Prices on Refurbished 2nd and 3rd Generation Cellular iPads

Last edited:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
3rd generation price cuts on refurbished products would probably interest me a bit more if I didn't have a lingering concern about a major aesthetic overhaul on with the rear shell of the next iPad. If there is an aesthetic overhaul previous versions of the iPad will lose value almost immediately.

Now where's my iPad mini with retina display?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
It makes sense to drop prices and move inventory before releasing a new product, but I don't think this particularly points to an imminent release of the iPad 5 (as much as I would like it to).

Definitely going to be a hard decision between a thinner, lighter, aesthetically different iPad 5 and an iPad Mini with Retina Display ;)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm very happy to see Apple begin to reduce & adjust prices to a more competitive level. It's a great way to make it possible for more people to buy Apple products.

Especially since its my opinion that Apple does an outstanding job on refurbished units. While I cannot speak from first hand experience, those people I've come in contact with over the years,that do own refurbs speak highly about them.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
It's been awfully quiet in apple land - think the have something up their sleeve or just spec bumps and thinner bezels?

I think they may be working on something bigger because it is just bad business to hold off this long on almost all product updates and only delaying the tick tock upgrades that Apple has become dreadfully known for.

Or is it a return to the focus on software that made OSX so great originally? Tough to say.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
It's been awfully quiet in apple land - think the have something up their sleeve or just spec bumps and thinner bezels?

I think they may be working on something bigger because it is just bad business to hold off this long on almost all product updates and only delaying the tick tock upgrades that Apple has become dreadfully known for.

Or is it a return to the focus on software that made OSX so great originally? Tough to say.

Or they were projecting a disappointing holiday season, so products that were originally planned for Q1 '13 were released in Q4 '12?
conspiracy-keanu.jpg

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Definitely going to be a hard decision between a thinner, lighter, aesthetically different iPad 5 and an iPad Mini with Retina Display ;)

Here's an easy solution: Buy both of them! That's what I'm planning on. 128GB iPad 5 LTE, largest capacity iPad mini retina with LTE.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Here's an easy solution: Buy both of them! That's what I'm planning on. 128GB iPad 5 LTE, largest capacity iPad mini retina with LTE.
Well that's certainly a first world solution. But with an iPhone 5, 13in MacBook Air, and 27in iMac... I don't think buying both is particularly warranted. Probably just going to go with a 64GB Wi-Fi model, maybe even 32GB (I have a 64GB iPad 3 right now, but I don't particularly use it for much aside from taking notes on... but a lighter/thinner iteration could definitely change my computing habits)

EDIT: Also, $929 for a 128GB LTE iPad + $659 for a 64GB LTE Mini is almost $1600 (probably over after tax). That's insane, but more power to ya'!

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
If this price cut affected the wifi models I'd be ordering an iPad 3 for my girlfriend instead of writing this post. I'll continue to wait for a new release.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Or they were projecting a disappointing holiday season, so products that were originally planned for Q1 '13 were released in Q4 '12?

Fair enough but still bad business practice. They emptied the pipeline to make Q4 sales and are now suffering 2 quarters of no product releases and declining profitability (assuming no new products until June).

I do think they are locked in the lab trying to figure something new out - if they aren't then they are in trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.