Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a somewhat confusing report earlier this week in which NPD DisplaySearch analysts first indicated that a Retina iPad mini would not appear until the first quarter of 2014 before quickly issuing a correction stating that a third quarter refresh would bring the Retina display to the line, the firm has now told CNET that production on those Retina display panels should begin in June or July.

ipad_mini_display.jpg
The timing would not be a tremendous surprise given that the firm just said that the device should begin shipping in the July-September quarter, although other sources have indicated that it may not appear until somewhat later in the year. DisplaySearch's Richard Shim also claims that current iPad mini display supplier LG Display will maintain a prominent role in production of the new Retina displays, and that Samsung will remain out of the display supply picture.
"We should see the start of mass production of the panels in June or July," said Richard Shim, an analyst at NPD DisplaySearch.

LG Display will be one of the major manufacturers of the display, he said, adding that Samsung is not a supplier for the Mini.

"Samsung is currently not in the iPad Mini and they won't be in the next generation. LGD is becoming a much bigger supplier than before," he said.
LG is reportedly the main supplier for display panels in the current iPad mini, with AU Optronics also responsible for a significant portion of the supply.

Also unsurprising is Shim's claim that the Retina iPad mini will adopt the same 2048 x 1536 resolution seen on the full-size iPad's Retina display, albeit at a higher pixel density to fit the iPad mini's smaller physical size. Maintaining consistent resolution across the iPad lineup allows developers to target a single screen size with their apps, simplifying their work.

On last month's earnings conference call, Apple CEO Tim Cook appeared to specifically temper new product expectations for the next several months, mentioning that Apple had a number of great products coming "in the fall and across all of 2014."

Article Link: Mass Production of Retina Displays for iPad Mini Expected to Start in June or July

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Can't wait. I plan on selling my 64GB 4G iPad 3 for a 64GB wifi iPad mini. My eyesight is better than 20/20 after corrective lenses, so small screen won't be a big problem.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Knew the retina displays were coming, but good to hear some rumors starting to flow around :)
It's been a long wait Retina iPad Mini! Come to papa :D

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If this is true, should we expect the new Retina iPad Mini in October?
That would be around the time the iPad 4 came out, right?
And would be perfect timing to release it on time for the holidays.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
With the mini going to match the resolution of the bigger iPad; think we might see another resolution increase on the bigger one?

Otherwise...why even get the big iPad? It's more expensive and same screen resolution and less pixel density.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
I guess now they'll sell even more; a lot of people said they didn't buy a mini because of the poor screen (yet they still sold well).

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
With the mini going to match the resolution of the bigger iPad; think we might see another resolution increase on the bigger one?

Otherwise...why even get the big iPad? It's more expensive and same screen resolution and less pixel density.

Why do people have 60" tv's? 22" is same resolution....

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
This just leaves me nonplussed. I'm still living with my original iPad 2 and loving it, and I hardly notice the difference between my 3GS screen and the 4S.

Sure 'retina' would be better for text, but is that all Apple has this year? Adding 'retina' to old things?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Oh man, that will be an expensive fall: iP5s, iPad 5 and now a retina mini ...
Maybe this time I skip the iPad 5 and get a mini ? Depends on the storage and CPU/GPU. Or ask my wife to increase my pocket money. :eek:

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
My main questions are:

How much (if at all) thicker and heavier will it be than my current ipad mini

and how much will it cost.

I know a lot of people will suggest that it will come in at the same price points as the current mini, but I'm not so sure.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I totally didn't expect IGZO/whatever tech they are using for this Mini to be ready this early and always thought it'll get delayed until 2014. This'll be great! But I still want my lighter Mini-like big iPad. Other than the weight, I still prefer the bigger iPad for most things.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Why do people have 60" tv's? 22" is same resolution....

Ha ha, I don't get the question either. Must say my iPad 4 is used massively at home in the couch and around the house and on vacations

On work every day for notes, and the fact that I'm travelling a lot with work where I'm carrying a lenovo laptop, paper, reports and other stuff, so on those trips the Mini hits the head on the nail ... Retina is nice, but not a killer feature for me in this screen size.

Different sizes for different needs... :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.