15Gig iPod was the mistake, not the mini's price.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    I think Apple's big mistake was the 15Gb. If they stuck with the 10Gb, I don't think the $50 gap to the iPod mini would have looked so bad. Maybe they should have dropped the the 10Gb/15Gb altogether..

Looking at the pricing:

4.5Gb - $249

15Gb - $299 ($50 more for an extra 10.5 Gb - whereas if it was still 10Gb, it would have been $50 for an extra 5.5Gb)

20Gb - $399 ($100 more for an extra 5Gb plus remote, dock and case)

40Gb - $499 ($100 more for an extra 20Gb)

I reckon they should have dropped the 10 and the 20 should have been cut to 15, retained the remote, dock and case, and been $349.
  2. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    Re: 15Gig iPod was the mistake, not the mini's price.

I think the iPod mini will be more attractive to consumers if for the same price that it is, 250$, it came with a dock and remote and case ... rather then having them extra.

that way people would stop and think

hmm ... do i get the 15 gig and then buy those other things, or do i get the 4 gig for 50$ less with all the extras

That was the case with me between the 10 gig and 20 gig ... since to get the 10 gig plus dock and remote was 50$ less then just getting the 20 gig with all the same things and double the storage i went with the 20 gig

oh well ...i'm not in charge of apple ..
  3. Macgamer1096 macrumors newbie

Apr 23, 2003
    I agree the extras are important and if added will definetly make people prefer the mini such as it did the 20, and 10 in my case. i now see past the 50 dollars and other dissaponting factors to the raw usefullness of the iPod mini. Thankyou revenuee.
    For example: a full grown stray dog or a puppy with a pedigree.

Owner of 2nd edition 10GB iPod- I only hope my wife will look half as good as these things.
  4. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    One idea is that the point was to get consumers interested in the mini iPod, and then offer an incentive for them to pay an extra $50 for the 15g iPod. That would get many people to get a higher model, something that would be good for Apple. Then not only will the mini iPod sell, but the regular iPods could also see an increase in sales.
  5. bnemesis macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2003
    i dont know about anyone else, but i see the mini-ipod dropping to $199 if not this summer, then in the fall.
  6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    One of the attractions of the mini iPod is the fact that it is in fact, mini in dimensions. You're comparing size of HD. Would you buy a brick that had 100GB if it was $50 more than the 40gig iPod? No. You get the point? To go on, if the iPod mini was the same size as a normal iPod but only 4gigs in capactity, then yes, there would be a cause for concern/complaint.