Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Guys, I have a first week 15" MBP. It has always run very hot. Up to 65+ in CoreDuo Temp. I have run the newest Firmware update and it helped a little but not alot. Anyway I've been living with it, but with summer here and wearing shorts now this thing is unbearable on my legs. Yes, I know its not supposed to be used on your lap, but this heat is absurd. Im sure it would leave marks if I left it there. All this is just while web browsing and other various tasks. God forbid I go into windows to play hl2, or the things feels like its on fire. Is there anything they will do for me? I can't really affoard to send this in. I use this computer for work and whatnot. I have a store near me, will they do anything?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Take it into the nearest Apple store and explain that it'll burn you if you leave it on your skin, they will most likely give you a replacement (and possibly a later build that isn't as hot).

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
amacgenius said:
Take it into the nearest Apple store and explain that it'll burn you if you leave it on your skin, they will most likely give you a replacement (and possibly a later build that isn't as hot).

Do they have a way to just transfer over the entire hard drive. And I wonder how they would handle my model as its not avaliable anymore. I have the original 2ghz version with the gig of ram and whatnot. Would they just give me the 2.16 version?

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
They still have the 2.0ghz version, I believe. It's the 1.83 that was dropped. *looks down* ...dammit.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
rick98761 said:
You know that centigrade right? All i know is the case is pretty ****ing hot.

All I know is that mine went up to 180 plus (in Fº) and they said "That's normal." returned it right then and there, bought a MacBook 2 weeks later that doesn't feel nearly as hot.:D

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
rick98761 said:
You know that centigrade right? All i know is the case is pretty ****ing hot.

Yes. 65 Degrees C is not that hot for the CPU Die temp. The Shut-off temperature is 125 Degrees celcius and the maximum running temp of the Duo is 100 degrees.

Do you have documented case temperature? All I know is that just saying "My computer is hot and the CPU gets to 65 degrees" is not going to bee seen as valid.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
ManchesterTrix said:
Yes. 65 Degrees C is not that hot for the CPU Die temp. The Shut-off temperature is 125 Degrees celcius and the maximum running temp of the Duo is 100 degrees.

Do you have documented case temperature? All I know is that just saying "My computer is hot and the CPU gets to 65 degrees" is not going to bee seen as valid.

how would i go about messuring the temp of the case? I'm not really looking to get something for nothing. This computer is just freaking hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.