16 GB RAM iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleBMW&Lakers, Sep 12, 2011.

1. macrumors member

AppleBMW&Lakers

Hey guys, I have a 27 inch iMac 27 inch 2010 core i3, and I found crucial RAM 2x4GB so the price comes to 100 plus. Does anyone have 16GB of RAM on their iMac? I appreciate the feedback, and thank you for your time.

2. macrumors 68020

Sodner

I have the Mid 2011 base iMac with 16 GB from OWC. I love the extra memory. I could probably got away with 8 but what the heck. I never see a beach ball, never need to refresh a page in Safari, it's great and highly recommended

3. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

4. macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I went to 16GB from 8GB on my late-2009 i7 iMac and it's been night and day snappier. As the previous poster reported no more beach balls. I especially appreciate the extra memory when running Parallels.

With the plummeting prices of RAM now why not max it out?

5. thread starter macrumors member

AppleBMW&Lakers

Thanks a lot!!

Yeah I'm def excited for 16 GB of RAM, besides OWC and Crucial any other sites we can get RAM at?

6. macrumors 603

philipma1957

7. macrumors regular

tonyunreal

I have 16gb on my Core 2 iMac, which I don't use much other than iTunes syncing and watching movies occasionally.

Occupied memory size including inactive(cached) segment one week after boot is around 8gb, definitely worth it if you intend to run memory intense programs and don't want to turn it off everyday.

Hard drive read/write operations also seemed to reduce a lot since most data would be in memory after a day of usage or so.

8. macrumors newbie

I put 16gigs in my 2011 27" i7, it definitely helps when running parallels! I give 4 gigs to parallels and it stays fairly snappy, and it has just enough left over on the OSX side to keep my page outs & swap space at zero.

9. macrumors regular

I'm at 12 gb with the mid 2011 i5. I used to leave apps on so that it would take long to start them up. Bounced up from 4 gb to 12 gb, I might as well leave them off or on, since all my applications except for aperture open up almost instantly. Aperture takes about 3 seconds. I remember the times when it took a bouncing ball.