16-year-old genius & Mac geek going to college

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacFanatic90, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacFanatic90 macrumors newbie

MacFanatic90

Hey,

I submitted this link on Macbytes, but I wanted to also post it here in case Macbytes doesn't use it.

Check it out here

It's basically a story about this guy who is 16 and is going to be a Junior at UC Berkeley here in California this next year. He skipped 7th and 8th grade as well as 10th through 12th grade. He used to have a computer repair business called "The Apple Guy", and his dream is to work at Apple.

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Interesting. But skipping four grades? That has to be a messed up way to grow up.

3. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Wow! Yea, I don't know about skipping 4 grades?!

4. NWAMacTech macrumors member

I find it amusing that there are numerous cases of mature teens moving ahead quickly and graduating a few years early, yet only a few of them are ever recognized. Of the few that are recoginized, they are called "geniuses", when the real issue is they are just more mature than the rest of their peers.

5. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

It is nice to see that there are geniuses out there, but there really is something to be said about the social aspects of education. Oh well, just throw him in the lab and let him develop the world's best computers. It would be better if he didn't meet anyone, then nothing would distract him. :rolleyes:

Hickman

6. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

7. WeeShoo macrumors regular

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I wonder if the percentage of Mac users is higher among the young genius category than in the general population?

By the way, see this ibookin' thread for one of our member's stories.

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If he were really a genius he'd have the PowerBook hooked up to a cinema display...

j/k.

I skipped grades, too. I know quite a few who have. I don't see how that is a really big deal.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i own his ass, i get perfect not near perfect reading test scores, :cool:

12. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I ENVY this guy so much. He is my idol, but I'm older than him. :eek: He looks like hes 20 though.

What's funny is that this guy is probably here on the forums.

13. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

14. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I skipped the first grade.

I think that going to college at a young age is a sign of brilliance, but I wouldn't do it if I had the chance. Even if I had skipped so many grades, I'd lounge around, freeload for a bit.

People who have such a desire to "learn" and "achieve" confuse me.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think skipping grades is bad because you don't learn common sence stuff with your friends...... and your friends aren't around the same age as you....in his case, their over 18 (college) while he is still a minor.... must be hard to make friends

16. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

If I didn't skip a grade, I wouldn't've met all the people I know now...

I'm glad I skipped. Then again, who knows. Maybe I would've been happier if I hadn't skipped.

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

my thoughts exactly. I live life by my phrase (not mine but still you get it :p) "Carpe Diem" And i will never stray from that. I would want to have fun go out and do things and not just sit and study and skip grades all the time.

I will end up where i want to go any way possible, and if it takes its time oh well.

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"Seize the Day" is pretty good, all around advice and a good phrase. Interestingly, a good percentage of genius levels who've skipped over several grade levels find like this young man, there's also something to emotional intelligence and social development which carry their particular challenges. "I'll probably fit in well at least academically, but socially I do worry," he said. "I'm not sure I'll be accepted. My roommate, for instance, is 20 years old. And dating might be hard because of the age differential." [Scott Goodson]

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm like this kid in one particular way:
    OK, so I don't have that many computers cluttering up the house, but I did have 11 Macs running in the house (and more of them not running) at one point. Perhaps I'll get into Berkeley too.

20. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ya it is your teenage years should be ones you enjoy not skip

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

There's nothing enjoyable about sitting through year after year of school when you're so far ahead of the rest of your class academically. Imagine spending a year in an algebra 1 class when you already understand advanced calculus. Just because you skip ahead a few years doesn't necessarily mean you can't have friends your own age, nor does it mean you're some kind of over-achieving robo-kid with no interest in a social life.

When a freshman basketball player gets onto the varsity team, we don't pity him for missing out on the joys of playing junior-varsity.

22. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'll say this much: he'll fit in fine from a computing standpoint. There is a ton of Mac users in Berkeley, and Macs are supported as well as PCs on campus for the most part.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

True, but with one exception: when you need some occasional filler.

Funny story: As a college freshman computer science student, I skipped the beginning programming course because I already had more than enough experience programming. I started in the advanced programming course instead. However, 3 years later, I ended up low on C.S. units for having skipped courses. My advisor had the solution: take the beginning computer science course along with the much harder upper division courses I was finishing my degree with. So one of my last computer science courses was the beginning programming course, which of course was hilariously easy by that point! I helped other students to make it interesting.

24. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Berkeley? Lucky ****er. I understand they still have LSD there.

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough, but MacBytes did end up posting it. :)

I can't even imagine what uni would be like if I was a youngster. I've always been a bit on the old side of my year and I can't imagine having it any other way. It's not that I ever repeated, it's just that school years here are determined at July and I'm an August baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.