160 gb drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HeyMAC, Sep 20, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2004
    my friend is hassaling me to upgrade to the 250 gb hard drive because the 160 is too small.How hard is it to fill up a 160 hd?
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    when you first get it the drive will seem huge and great... but soon enough you will find a way to fill it up. you can ALWAYS use more hard drive space so if you have the money get it!
  3. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Only you can know how big your music collection is, if you intend to edit video, if you intend to download A LOT. We can't read minds here you know, how the hell are we gonna know how quick you will fill it!?
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    again dont be pressured. what if you cant? some people have 10s of thousands of songs, so ya they can. you need to think about it yourself

(edit) someone beat me too it.
  5. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    If you plan on working with video at all, go for the biggest drive you can afford. 160GB sounds like a lot, but it gets eaten up fast.
  6. macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Get a pair of Maxtor DiamondMax10/MaxLineIII 300MB/16MB and RAID them. You know you want to.
  7. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I recently moved from an 80 GB drive to a 160 GB drive. I don't do any video editing and have nearly 1600 songs in iTunes.

The 80 GB drive was almost full when it was failing and, even though I'm constantly checking the occupied space, the bigger drive is down to 93 GB free in just a couple of months.

I don't imagine that you'll need the space but we do tend to grow to whatever space we have available.