160 gb only slightly thicker?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by steffi, Feb 8, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

So if you ask me someone decided that the base model would ship with a smaller harddrive in order to make the size differential less than the higher end model.

For instance,

If you have the choice b/w 160 GB and SSD 64 which would you buy?

2. macrumors regular

I think the 80GB HD is just a placeholder of sorts until the day when the only options are SSD's.

The MBA is a platform that will be used for many revisions to come, and I doubt it's form factor will change. See current MB and MBP designs.

Why penalize subsequent MBA generations by making the platform 3mm thicker just to accommodate today's HD technology (which will likely be obsolete in a year)?

3. macrumors member

I'd take the 160gb and any extra thickness. It would save me lugging an external HD in order to take all my photos & music as a travel.

Better still, 320gb, an extra USB port + firewire :)

I think they went with the current thickness purely to be able to claim the title of 'world's thinness'.

4. macrumors P6

dukebound85

why you mean a mb dont you :rolleyes:

5. macrumors member

No, not a MB. I don't need the superdrive nor even the faster processor (although faster is always nicer).

An MBA with a bigger HD would be just the ticket. I'm sure it's coming. I'm just not sure I can wait :)

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 6502a

I am glad they put thinness and weight way up there on the list. I just can't wait to see future revs with larger SSD and possibly even thinner at its thickest point, who knows.

8. macrumors member

That makes sense, I had wondered why they hadn't added the 3mm to provide decent HDD space...