160GB SATA 2.5" in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drlunanerd, Aug 29, 2006.

1. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I cannot for the life of me find anyone in the UK with 160GB SATA 2.5" hard drives in stock.

Not the Hitachi 5K160 or the Seagate Momentus 5400.3.

Does anybody know where one can source these drives in the UK?

I know OWC in the US has them in stock, but they work out rather expensive.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Very good point. Mea culpa. :)

In that case, the Hitachi drive — and also the Seagate — may have another product code. All I did was google the info given by the OP with a UK url specified.

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Actually hes said Not - although the Hitachi SATA drive uses the same model number.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We all make mistakes but here's an idea. Why don't you help the guy instead of having a pop at me? Huh? :rolleyes:

9. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

It's easy to misidentify the HK160 PATA for SATA. Even when you Froogle HK160 SATA, you get hits for stores that sell only the PATA version. I've posted the "good news" about 160 SATA availability two or three times, only to be corrected.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't this the right model (in the UK), it has the same model number as on macsales.com

11. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks BV, but you see my problem now! Everyone advertises them but they're not the SATA versions (which you need for the MacBook and MacBook Pro) :(

12. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes, it is. But they have no stock unfortunately. I've asked another stockist and they don't reckon on getting any for at least 4 weeks.

13. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Oh yes. *Ahem*

I'll let myself out. :cool:

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't know whether this helps you at all but have you considered keeping your current drive in (presuming it's 100Gb or something) and adding a Freecom FHD-2Pro? I use a couple of 120Gb FHD2's, which are USB bus powered. Quite apart from the practical niceties, one advantage of having an external drive (FAT32 formatted) for me is that it's visible in both Windows and OSX.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is true, you can get a 300GB External for about £100 now, which is a pretty good deal...

16. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks for the tips, but I need a bigger internal drive. I already have externals (but actually need to buy some cases for them, but that's another story).

Obviously internal laptop drives are much poorer value than 3.5" ones, but that's the way it goes.

I wish OWC's shipping to the UK wan't so expensive (and we didn't get clobbered with VAT and import duty).

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Ah. I wasn't talking about those but rather the 2.5" USB drives. Easily slips into a bag along with the laptop, is powered via USB.

Attached Files:

18. Mass Hysteria macrumors regular

just get an older powerbook ;)

but seriously, I have a colleague after exactly the same thing at the moment, they've been through all the channels here trying to find one.

It does seem strange that it was easy for me to get one for the older interface as soon as the drives came out ?????

19. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I've got one thanks :p But I don't need to upgrade the drive in that.

We're bring price gouged on SATA 2.5" drives at the moment, and availability is poor. The question is why? I blame all the new MacBook owners! ;)

Well if anyone finds any 160 giggers in the UK, please let me know, cheers.

20. Addo macrumors member

I was searching for the SATA variant last week. Through Google I found that Norway have a fair stock of them...but the company I contacted don't/won't deliver outside Norway unless it's a large order.

21. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

2 months later and has anyone bought one of these drives from a UK supplier yet? I still can't find them in stock :(

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'd rather use a firewire 2.5" drive personally. They are faster and from all accounts, USB2 wasn't designing for sustained writes and it can drop bits and you'll end up with data errors.

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The r/w speed of 2.5" drives make improvements marginal with FW at best, with a potentially higher drain on the batt. In terms of Win/Mac compatibility a USB2 drive has a higher chance of actually fitting.

And the thing about sustained writes and data errors - complete utter bollocks.

24. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

It does make a noticeable difference. Heck, it makes a noticeable difference with the 1.8" drives in iPods. Do an I/O speed test on a FireWire iPod and a USB2 iPod to see. With a potentially lower drain on the battery too as FW uses less CPU time than USB2. Add the benefit of being able to daisy-chain FW drives, without needing a hub, and it blows USB2 away.

The data errors thing is bull5h*t though, touche!