Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to BlackBerryOS.com, the beta version of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) has started rolling out in the Beta Zone for Android and iOS devices. The Beta Zone, which is similar to Apple's Developer Center, started sending out the invites to select registered users today, with more expected to follow in the coming days and weeks. BlackBerryOS.com has also leaked several screenshots of the Android version of the app, but screenshots of the iOS version do not yet appear to be available.

bbm_android.jpg
The beta will require iOS 6.0 or later, according to Vivek Bhardwaj, the head of the BlackBerry Software Portfolio who spoke to Trusted Reviews a couple of weeks ago. Announced in May for a summer release, BBM is expected to hit Google Play and the App Store sometime next month, although there has been no official date confirmation as of yet following an erroneous announcement from T-Moble UK having claimed a June 27 launch date.

BBM is the proprietary messaging solution among BlackBerry devices and requires the use of a "PIN" - an eight character hexadecimal identification number that is uniquely assigned to every device. Currently there is no information about how BlackBerry users will add iOS or Android devices to their contacts, though the most obvious solution would be through either a phone number or e-mail address.

This is the first time that BlackBerry software has been available on other smartphones and marks a radical shift in the management of the Canadian-based manufacturer. From 2012 onwards, BlackBerrys have gradually been dropping in popularity - the latest statistics show that BlackBerry OS worldwide accounted for just 3.7% of smartphone usage in July 2013, compared with 38.3% for Android, 24.8% for iOS and 14.4% for Nokia's S40 platform.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger Beta Starts Rolling Out for iOS and Android Devices

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Can't wait for this on my iPhone, this is the best app for messaging, when I had my blackberry this was the best ever.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I just don't see the point. Seems like only Blackberry users will use it, and most Blackberry users I know have gone back to their Blackberry devices because they're used to the physical keyboard... :confused:

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
In my opinion I feel that they should have done this years ago. To little to late but hey it's probably their only option right now

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I just don't see the point. Seems like only Blackberry users will use it, and most Blackberry users I know have gone back to their Blackberry devices because they're used to the physical keyboard... :confused:

not really, means epople can bbm to blackberrys with android or iOS

DaPanda

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
Who cares? RIM and BBM are dead and their are plenty of instant msg apps out there.

Georgij

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
For a second I thought that those screens were an iPhone version. I was shocked to see that ugly lower Android-bar

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
i'm actually eager to test this and possibly use it,
as some of my friends and family use bbm.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I use Whatsapp, but most of the people I know have iPhones. Wouldn't mind trying this though.

All i can focus on in those photos is the really busy status bar! How many icons! :confused:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I use Whatsapp, but most of the people I know have iPhones.

All i can notice is that really busy status bar on the photos! How many icons! :confused:

Someone who doesn't like to clear their notifications and some persistent ones as well. New Android guidelines don't let apps perpetually run in the background without an icon anymore. It's user inflicted and enabled on purpose.

That being said, I love the BB icon that's being used for notifications. They didn't reinvent the wheel, which in this case is a good thing. (IMO)

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
I use WhatsApp to chat with my 12 year old nephew - but to be fair, him and all his mates have BB's and hammer BBM.

It will be nice to move over to BBM, but should of been available 6 years ago.

dmcaudio

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
What is the point?

Honestly, I just don't get it. What motivation could there possibly be for someone to use blackberry messenger when they undoubtedly could either use an app, another service, email, or good ol' SMS/MMS?

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
What we really need is iMessage to be multiplatform and have sms integration on all platforms or and app like google hangouts to have sms integration.

Imagine a web based messaging app with the ability to send an sms if your contact doesn't have have that app? Pure full keyboard text messaging heaven. Drooling as I type.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Agreed. It is the only feature I've truly missed since migrating to the iPhone.

I use Whatsapp and you have no idea how much I hate "online" status or "last seen" even though I turned it off some people can still see my last connection, I think it's an invasion to my privacy.

Plus, just because people know my cell phone doesn't mean they can send me messages.

Can't wait for my PIN to add people and the glorious "D" and "R"

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I hope Apple doesn't wait until iOS is almost completely dead before providing iMessage on Android devices like Blackberry did with their message service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.