Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage1.png
A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Apple that alleged the company had an illegal monopoly because the iPhone does not allow users to use alternative app stores.

Apple had requested that the suit be dismissed because Apple doesn't set the price for paid applications and because charging a price for distribution of products on a platform does not violate antitrust laws.

However, the suit was dismissed on a something of a technicality and can be refiled at a later date. Bloomberg reports:
The plaintiffs failed to prove "collective allegations that they have been deprived of lower cost alternatives, paid higher prices for Apple-approved applications, or had their iPhones disabled or destroyed," [U.S. District Judge Yvonne] Gonzalez wrote. "At a minimum, plaintiffs must allege facts showing that each named plaintiff has personally suffered an injury-in-fact based on Apple's alleged conduct."
A lawyer for the plaintiffs told Bloomberg that they can refile with "no difficulty" and will argue that Apple has "cornered the distribution market for software for the iPhone".

Article Link: Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging App Store Monopoly

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, Yes he can...

A lawyer for the plaintiffs told Bloomberg that they can refile with "no difficulty"

And he will as long as he can keep getting paid to do it. This isn't about right or wrong. It isn't about freedom. It's about a lawyers greed.

Reactions: gorbag42

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Good, the whole thing was stupid anyway as it's their own platform. It's like saying Waterstone's has a monopoly on book sales in their own stores. Well duh!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
So, is this a new trend at Macrumors? The first comments we're going to see are from people who simply post hashtags? I sure hope not.

As for the dismissal of the lawsuit, I'll say that I'm not surprised. However, I wonder if this is positive for those of us who use iOS. I personally would like to see more app-store options that don't require jailbreaking.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
Glad to see there's at least a tiny bit of common sense left in the judicial system.

Apple should countersue for legal fees (can't even imagine how much Apple's legal department gets paid!) and the judge should make the lawyers that took up this ridiculous suit pay them.

Reactions: gorbag42

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
A lawyer for the plaintiffs told Bloomberg that they can refile with "no difficulty" and will argue that Apple has "cornered the distribution market for software for the iPhone".

"cornered the distribution market for software for the iPhone"??

Like Microsoft has cornered the market on x-box software distribution?
Like Sony has cornered the market on play station software distribution??
Like Nintendo has cornered the market on wii software distribution???

Yea....

Catalyx

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
I don't see how Apple is obligated to allow other app distribution systems on their own platform when there are other options for consumers in the smartphone market.

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
So, is this a new trend at Macrumors? The first comments we're going to see are from people who simply post hashtags? I sure hope not.

As for the dismissal of the lawsuit, I'll say that I'm not surprised. However, I wonder if this is positive for those of us who use iOS. I personally would like to see more app-store options that don't require jailbreaking.

There are cell phones you can buy that give you that freedom. Nobody is preventing you from buying one. The iPhone is not a "market" in monopoly terms. It's a product part of a larger market known as "smartphones", which is in itself a subset of cellphones. I hope Apple sues for legal fees when they win this one.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
This is nothing but a ridiculous money grab.. What's next? Force Apple to sell Samsung phones in their stores? After all, by this logic, Apple holds a monopoly on cell phones sold in their retail stores...

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
There are cell phones you can buy that give you that freedom. Nobody is preventing you from buying one. The iPhone is not a "market" in monopoly terms. It's a product part of a larger market known as "smartphones", which is in itself a subset of cellphones. I hope Apple sues for legal fees when they win this one.

OK, I understand what you're saying. But how is this different than when Microsoft refused to bundle any browser other than IE with its operating system?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to figure this whole situation out.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Apple does seem to have a carte blanche in the US.

If that were truly the case, the majority of handsets I see each day wouldn't be Android; however, that isn't the case. If that were truly the case, there wouldn't be 20% Apple haters commenting on Macrumors, and 70% Apple haters commenting on Engadget. And yes, those percentages are straight out of my ass, but I feel that I'm actually being kind with those numbers, so I don't mind too much.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
OK, I understand what you're saying. But how is this different than when Microsoft refused to bundle any browser other than IE with its operating system?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to figure this whole situation out.

That had nothing to do with Microsoft refusing to bundle other browsers with Windows. It had to with the fact that they bundled IE with Windows in the first place.

#EuropeIsStupid

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK

Microsoft had a near (90%) monopoly on desktop computers. They bundled IE into every computer (ultimately trying to make it unremovable) and gave it away for free in order to overtake Netscape. Apple currently has around 50% of the marker and there are clear competitors doing the same thing (Microsoft included ironically) which means this is surely a non-event.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

It's more akin to PSN on the Playstation 3 or XBox Marketplace on the 360.

IIRC (is was tiny when the whole IE Monopoly happened), it wasn't that Microsoft bundled IE, it was that they leveraged their position to force hardware manufacturers to keep Netscape off their PCs. I'm sure I missed important nuances.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
If you don't like the app store, then perhaps its time to find a different phone.

If Apple successfully prevents me from installing what I want on my phone, they will successfully move me to another mobile OS.

And I believe the 10% of us who jailbreak for the most part feel the same.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
That had nothing to do with Microsoft refusing to bundle other browsers with Windows. It had to with the fact that they bundled IE with Windows in the first place.

Exactly.

If Apple didn't allow any third-party apps to be sold on the App Store, then the MSFT analogy would be applicable.

But I doubt there's a single Apple-developed app that doesn't have a third-party counterpart that is either free or cheaper than Apple's app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.