Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a replacement program for the graphics card in some mid-2011 iMac configurations, reports 9to5Mac. According to a note sent to Apple Support employees, the AMD Radeon HD 6970 video cards in some 27-inch May 2011 iMacs have experienced issues, causing them to fail.

graphicsglitch.jpg
Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer's display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.
The affected iMacs contain serial numbers with the last four characters of DHJQ, DHJW, DL8Q, DNGH, DNJ9, DMW8, DPM1, DPM2, DPNV, DNY0, DRVP, DY6F, or F610. The errors have been previously noted on both the MacRumors forums and the Apple Support forums.

Apple will replace the graphics card of affected iMacs with the aforementioned serial numbers at no cost for up to three years from the date that the computer was purchased, which makes early adopters eligible until May 2014.

Replacements can be initiated through AppleCare, the Genius Bar, or Apple Authorized Resellers and iMac users that paid to have the graphics card replaced are also eligible for a refund.

Article Link: Apple Initiates Graphic Card Replacement Program for Mid-2011 27-inch iMac

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Well, I fall into that category. I have had some strange flickering issues with my model.

I'll setup an appointment and see what happens.

While I'm there I'll pick up the new 3TB Time Capsule :)

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I remember something like this happening with the 8600M GT cards in the MacBook Pros of 2008.

Hopefully not too many 27-inch owners are affected but at least Apple will fix the problem for upto 3 years - especially useful for those that didn't buy AppleCare.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Good to know! Let me check the serial number of my baby...

AUGH!!!! DHJW! I haven't experienced any sort of graphical problems like the picture here, despite hundreds of hours gaming on this machine though. I wonder if I should have it taken in and checked up?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
My previous iMac 6,1 had the same issue but Apple never acknowledged it. Even after changing the logic board, Y adapter, and graphics card twice, the problem never went away. I own the iMac 11,1 now and on Mavericks have seen this same issue occur a few times. My serial # is not listed and my graphics card is the AMD 6770M. Anyone else having issues with this AMD graphics card?

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
This happens to my mid 2007 imac when running windows xp every so often. Still going good 6 years now.

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I have the infamous GPU freezing issue on my mid-2007 iMac. I'm hoping I can hold off upgrading it for another year. I wouldn't upgrade it but it's annoying because sometimes it freezes over and over until I reboot it a few times then can run fine for weeks.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
They should replace also the Mid-2009 17" MBP logic board, because it has defective NVIDIA 9600M GT. I've one of these models.

See also:
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&q=nvidia+9600m+gt+failure+mbp

The 8800 GS card in the 2008 iMacs is also defective, mine in addition to many other peoples failed (of course just after the warranty ran out) and bricked a $2,000+ machine. I still have it sitting in a closet, waiting for my recall repair notice, which will obviously never come. Seems now to be more than mere "sometimes parts fail", but a clear and recurring pattern of defective iMac GPU cards.

joshs2000ss

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
On the phone with support, the guy has no idea about this replacement notice... Says he can't find anything about them offering this.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hmm, I'm affected. Does anybody know whether I could get my HDD equipped Mac's HDD put into the second SATA channel and an SSD put into primary SATA at a smaller price than if I came without any other work to be done on the machine? (SSD primary boot (OS X), HDD being secondary boot (Windows with games))

I'm asking because the HDD is good enough for games in Windows, but OS X is my daily driver and I'm starting to grow sick and tired of HDD slowness.

Also, don't feel like paying 100€ for the basic task of merely getting that sucker opened if you will. And I like keeping my warranty. (for cases like THIS)

Glassed Silver:mac

PS: My late '06 iMac had a GPU serial defect as well, came 3 months too late to ask when the issue got unbearable on Lion. That's how I got my '11 iMac haha.
Hope this one lasts more than 4 years... ('06er lasted 4, I beared a year of feeling awkward and insecure)

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I love the large 27" screen on the iMac, but it would be such a pain to bring it back to the store for support. Thankfully I'm not affected by this.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Good to know! Let me check the serial number of my baby...

AUGH!!!! DHJW! I haven't experienced any sort of graphical problems like the picture here, despite hundreds of hours gaming on this machine though. I wonder if I should have it taken in and checked up?

YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAY THE WAITING GAME.

I did once, never again. When I see a replacement program, I'll always use it from now on.
You better do, too.
Fresh parts that have been tested and that should in itself get you a bit more warranty on that repair itself is damn worth it.

Don't mess around, go to Apple.

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
People who brought 24 inch iMac in the past also had graphic card issue. What the ******? Even thu warranty had expired, there's discussion about the issue. Apple did nothing about it. I am a bit disappoint with this.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
People who brought 24 inch iMac in the past also had graphic card issue. What the ******? Even thu warranty had expired, there's discussion about the issue. Apple did nothing about it. I am a bit disappoint with this.

Heaty components and very compact build structure don't mix well in many cases.
Laptops are faultier than desktops as well for a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.