Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
This is a useful feature I have seen on various other bulletin boards and something I have implemented into boards I have built.

Currently, at the top of each thread there is a forum hierarchy (for example, in the case of this thread; Mac Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback). This is very useful for navigating your way back through the boards forums.

Would it be possible for the administrators to add the same thing to the bottom of each thread page. This is my reasoning:
Every time you make a new post, you automatically 'jump' to the bottom of the thread now displaying your new post. I find it slightly awkward and cumbersome having to then scroll all the way back up to the top of the page in order to navigate backwards through the structure of the site. If the hierarchy was also shown at the bottom (perhaps even in the form of a drop down menu), then it would make 'hopping' from forum-to-forum a breeze!

Please consider my request!
Thanks

EDIT:
I've had another idea.
What about replacing the 'Quick style changer' with a drop down menu listing all the forums on this board. That way you can jump between forums quickly and easily once you have made a post!

Alternativly, you could just add the 'forum selection' drop down to the right hand size of the page and keep the style selection where it is.

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
That's a useful feature. I've seen it implemented in other forums which are a lot easier to navigate through than the macrumors forums. I second.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not a bad request. This could be very useful sometimes. Alternatively maybe some kind of (Back to the) top (of the page) link either at the bottom or even at regular intervals down the page?

I usually have the keyboard within reach and can use shift-space, pg up or home to get back on top, but for all the mousers out there it would be nice. ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I usually have the keyboard within reach and can use shift-space

Eeeesh... every day's a school day. :eek:

A 'jump to' forum dropdown would be handy and I used to deplore the lack of it. Although since I started using the 'New Posts' search combined with tabs for each thread, I don't miss the 'jump to' quite so much.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
After posting in a thread, I always 'New Posts' to get the latest and freshest serving of new posts.

Place the New Posts link on your personal tool bar and you can always press Command+[number] to frequently access this most useful button.

A forum hierarchy at the bottom would be a nice touch.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Maybe it could replace the << previous thread | next thread >> at the bottom... Has anybody used those...? Ever....?

Applespider said:
Eeeesh... every day's a school day. :eek:
Fun, isn't it... ;)

Applespider said:
A 'jump to' forum dropdown would be handy and I used to deplore the lack of it. Although since I started using the 'New Posts' search combined with tabs for each thread, I don't miss the 'jump to' quite so much.
Lacero said:
After posting in a thread, I always 'New Posts' to get the latest and freshest serving of new posts.

Place the New Posts link on your personal tool bar and you can always press Command+[number] to frequently access this most useful button.
I also have a find-all-threads-I've-posted-in bookmark: like this. Very handy to see if someone's answered you... :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Maybe it could replace the << previous thread | next thread >> at the bottom... Has anybody used those...? Ever....?

All the time. No better way to randomly go between threads. :p

Live life on the edge. Go to X-Tremes. Lose reality's firm grip. Delve into random threads.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I seem to remember asking for this before, and the short answer (from arn, I think) was: no.

Simply because it used up too much server resources, because there are so many sub-forums.

I believe (I may be wrong though) that there is an option in vB3 to limit which forums are displayed in the menu - I've seen this on another vB3.0.7 forum (yes,I know we're using vB3.5.1 here) and it worked quite well - not all subforums of subforums were listed - just the key ones.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I usually have the keyboard within reach and can use shift-space, pg up or home to get back on top, but for all the mousers out there it would be nice. ;)

Now I did not know that, thanks!

To the OP - I agree. It would be very handy.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I've had another idea.
What about replacing the 'Quick style changer' with a drop down menu listing all the forums on this board. That way you can jump between forums quickly and easily once you have made a post!

Alternativly, you could just add the 'forum selection' drop down to the right hand size of the page and keep the style selection where it is.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Well on the bottom of every page there IS a link that takes you to the top of the page, titled "Top" in the right hand corner, the last link...

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
True, but the ability to 'jump' between forums is very handy.
Look at this screenshot from another forum I visit:

forumjump.jpg

Just made a post? Read through a certain thread? Want to jump somewhere else? Easy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.