Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular WWII air combat game Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders was named as Apple's App of the Week, and as a result, the $4.99 app can be downloaded for free for the next seven days.

First launched in late 2012, Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders allows players to participate in dogfights, protect cities, and bomb enemy structures. The in-game locations are based on real areas like Pearl Harbor, Coast of Dover, Germany, and France and detailed WWII planes are used.

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders has iCloud and AirPlay support, along with several different online modes that are both cooperative and competitive. The game was also featured as one of Apple's 2013 Design Award winners.

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders is universal and will be free for 7 days in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Solid. Downloading now.

Wha...?

Blasted 50MB limit!

Oh well, used to be 25.. :D

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Who said there were in-app purchases? Are there? Considering how the game is typically $5, I can't imagine any potential in-app purchases would be very essential to the gameplay.

There's actually lots of IAP. Unlock planes, weapons, levels. It's a little absurd. They should make things like that unlockable via gameplay as well. People don't respond well to that much IAP.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Question from a German to the native English speakers around here: Does the name "Sky Gamblers" sound as silly to you as it does to me?

I don't know why, but the sound of that title has been enough to dissuade me from buying any of the games in the series so far.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There's actually lots of IAP. Unlock planes, weapons, levels. It's a little absurd. They should make things like that unlockable via gameplay as well. People don't respond well to that much IAP.
Well if I find the game that normally isn't free restricted without making in-app purchases, I will write a review warning people about it.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Question from a German to the native English speakers around here: Does the name "Sky Gamblers" sound as silly to you as it does to me?

I don't know why, but the sound of that title has been enough to dissuade me from buying any of the games in the series so far.

It does, a little, but no more so than something like "Call of Duty".

Scrumper

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
The IAPs are not essential to the game play and I have found that things like new planes are unlocked periodically as one progresses through the levels, gets promoted and gains points.

It's a great game but rather addictive. I paid £2.99 for mine but it's worth every penny, in my opinion. I'm just waiting for Cold War to become free now! :D

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Folks can make fun of the name or bemoan IAPs (which you don't need btw), but this is a great game at $4.99 and even better at free!

The graphics are fantastic, gameplay is easy and fun, multiple game play options, plane dynamics are great too. It's not a full simulator - more arcade style.

It's worth a shot.

Cheers,
Keebler

NOS2U

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
one of my favorite games on iOS. Detail if fantastic. I paid $1.99 when it was on sale. I've enjoyed playing it.....

Molecule

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010

Yes, it does.

----------

If an app is made App of the Week and thus becomes free, does the developer still get paid? In other words, does Apple compensate the developer for lost revenue?

I know this is probably less of an issue for this particular app, as it leans quite heavily on IAP, which is generally a lot more profitable than pay-per-download anyway; but there are plenty of other apps that don't.

Molecule

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..If an app is made App of the Week and thus becomes free, does the developer still get paid? In other words, does Apple compensate the developer for lost revenue? I know this is probably less of an issue for this particular app, as it leans quite heavily on IAP, which is generally a lot more profitable than pay-per-download anyway; but there are plenty of other apps that don't. Molecule

Nope…..That's why it's only for a week; buzz and IAP probably make up for some of that revenue loss.

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
Yeeah that's a terrible name...

Also, 'In Game Footage'? Really? Game's going to have to look way better than that to think it needs to convince me that the video is realtime. Mobile was supposed to surpass last gen consoles how long ago? And the flag at the beginning is waving backwards :p

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes, it does.

----------

If an app is made App of the Week and thus becomes free, does the developer still get paid? In other words, does Apple compensate the developer for lost revenue?

I know this is probably less of an issue for this particular app, as it leans quite heavily on IAP, which is generally a lot more profitable than pay-per-download anyway; but there are plenty of other apps that don't.

Molecule

I don't often use IAP, and won't in this game. However, it was so good that I've bought another game in the series, one that I would never have bought if I didn't get this one for free.

So, they do make money, just in different ways.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Not if everybody's already bought it during the week :p

Does Apple get the Developer's permission first before doing this?

Not everyone buys it during the free week :D

No, I don't think Apple get's their permission. Usually it's to the developer's benefit. But not always.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. I avoid those IAP maddening games also.

I got the game to try it out, most of the IAP are optional, extra planes and the like-there is already lots of content in the game as it stands. Very nice graphics and all right gameplay, while the control scheme is pretty good it still is not as natural as a joystick on a desktop sim. Plus it is a huge and I mean huge battery killer, worst of an app I've tried.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I got the game to try it out, most of the IAP are optional, extra planes and the like-there is already lots of content in the game as it stands. Very nice graphics and all right gameplay, while the control scheme is pretty good it still is not as natural as a joystick on a desktop sim. Plus it is a huge and I mean huge battery killer, worst of an app I've tried.

Good to hear real life reviews. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.