Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be cutting down on available vacation time for its AppleCare employees between September 15 and 28, a two week period encompassing the prospective September 20 release date for the iPhone 5S and 5C that was first leaked earlier this month. iOS 7 is also expected to be released that week.

An internal document shared by AppleInsider reportedly shows the amount of time off available for AppleCare employees during the month of September, which appears to drop beginning on September 15.

calendar.jpg
An internal company document shared with AppleInsider purportedly shows time off available for AppleCare employees for the latter half of September. As can be seen in the calendar, available time off drops off significantly starting Sunday, Sept. 15, and continues through Saturday, Sept. 28.

The image provided shows the calendar being accessed via virtual private network from an internal Apple employee domain. Potentially identifying portions of the picture have been cropped out.
Multiple carriers have also initiated similar vacation blackout dates on some of the same days, with T-Mobile employees reporting a September 20 to 22 blackout and Verizon employees reporting September 18 to September 22 blackout dates.

Apple likely has a longer blackout period for its AppleCare employees in order to offer extended support to both iOS 7 users and new iPhone owners. AppleCare employees began training on support issues related to iOS 7 yesterday and that training is likely to continue up until the OS is distributed to the public.

Article Link: Apple Restricting Vacation Time for AppleCare Employees From September 15 to 28

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
According to my sources, I think the iPhone 5S and 5C will be released anywhere from Sept. 15 to Sept. 28th.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
The Reason is iOS7. People Will Be Confused.

For a little while. I think people will adapt pretty quickly. However, I don't think most of the confused people will be calling AppleCare. At least in my circle, the confused people call me. I'm sure many people who read this site will be in the same category.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
New Macs, new firmware for the new Macs and older Macs in September, then in October Mavericks. That's what i think.

;-)

Would be a solid plan.

OT question: how many here are running iOS 7 on an iPad 2? Without breaking my NDA, this question has been posed and bug(s) reported but no one seems to be receiving any followups. It seems iOS gets "stuck", the device can unlock and lock, but the screen displays the wallpaper and nothing else. The device requires a hard boot which takes any where from 3-5 minutes.

One thing I did notice, previously 1080p movies with DTS and/or AC3 audio tracks would not play via my Mac Pro to the iPad 2 based on [alleged] hardware specs. Now I can play them without issue, saving the need to have 720p versions.

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
KGI securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has incorrectly predicted release dates all year long, said "September? Did I guess September for the iPhone yet? Yeah, yeah... September...".

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
For a little while. I think people will adapt pretty quickly. However, I don't think most of the confused people will be calling AppleCare. At least in my circle, the confused people call me. I'm sure many people who read this site will be in the same category.

True.

Yesterday, my dad called me from his office at work to ask me to help one of his co-workers with iTunes and iCloud Apple ID troubles on their iPad.

About once a month I end up using Logmein on my iPad to fix various computer issues on one of the family computers.

Just a part of life.

I'm still not overly fond of the new iOS 7 color choices, but I'm looking forward to the new features.

Out of curiosity, how do I downgrade back to iOS 6 if I need to for whatever reason? I've never used a jailbreak or tried downgrading an iOS device to a previous software version, Ive always just upgraded to the newest GM versions and updates as they come out.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If I worked for Apple, I would not want to take vacation time during those days. :D:apple:

EDIT: Actually, I didn't notice the title said: "AppleCare Employees". In this case, yes, I want my vacation time, sick time, whatever I could get! :eek:

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Would be a solid plan.

OT question: how many here are running iOS 7 on an iPad 2? Without breaking my NDA, this question has been posed and bug(s) reported but no one seems to be receiving any followups. It seems iOS gets "stuck", the device can unlock and lock, but the screen displays the wallpaper and nothing else. The device requires a hard boot which takes any where from 3-5 minutes.

One thing I did notice, previously 1080p movies with DTS and/or AC3 audio tracks would not play via my Mac Pro to the iPad 2 based on [alleged] hardware specs. Now I can play them without issue, saving the need to have 720p versions.

I get the same "stuck" bug on my iPad 3. The only way to get rid of it is to reboot, but if you did an OTA update, that seems to cause the boot problem. I fixed it on my iPhone 5 by downgrading and re-updating, but have been too busy to bother with the iPad. The only way to prevent the bug I've found is to not use the four or five finger pinch gesture (as that seems to be the cause of the bug), and instead use the home button when closing apps. As a result, it hasn't happened to me for about two weeks now.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I get the same "stuck" bug on my iPad 3. The only way to get rid of it is to reboot, but if you did an OTA update, that seems to cause the boot problem. I fixed it on my iPhone 5 by downgrading and re-updating, but have been too busy to bother with the iPad. The only way to prevent the bug I've found is to not use the four or five finger pinch gesture (as that seems to be the cause of the bug), and instead use the home button when closing apps. As a result, it hasn't happened to me for about two weeks now.

Ah! That makes perfect sense. I did a WiFi update. Normally update via iTunes, I have the saved IPSW, I'll do it that way. The gestures are almost always what causes the issue, good catch. Thanks mate!

One last thing I noticed, the "bug" with mismatched movie posters displayed on the iPad via home sharing still exists. The only solution seems to be turning off home sharing on the Mac and iPad, rebooting, then re-engaging (most likely to clear/reset caches). Very odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.