Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has posted seven new videos to its Windows Phone YouTube page, as part of a new series it calls 'A fly on the wall in Cupertino'.

The ads purport to show iPhone 5c and 5s product pitch meetings with characters that bear a striking resemblance to Steve Jobs and Jony Ive, though the Jobs-esque character is called Tim several times.

If the executive in the videos is intended to resemble Steve Jobs, then they would appear to be in very poor taste. It's not at all clear how the videos -- which don't ever explain how Windows Phone is better than iOS -- help Microsoft achieve its stated goal of getting users to switch to its platform.

- A fly on the wall in Cupertino
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Colours
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Polycarbonate
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Innovative materials
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: The phone for everyone
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: Fingerprint reader
- A fly on the wall in Cupertino: 8-megapixel camera

Update 12:42 PM PDT: Microsoft has pulled the videos from YouTube. The video embedded above is from a backup a viewer saved.

Microsoft gave this statement to The Next Web: "The video was intended to be a light-hearted poke at our friends from Cupertino. But it was off the mark, and we've decided to pull it down."

Article Link: Microsoft Posts Anti-Apple Windows Phone Videos of Questionable Taste [Update: Removed]

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Shouldn't you only mouth off when you have a superior product? WP8 is not superior to iOS. And if it wasn't for Nokia they wouldn't even be on the radar.

How low can you go MS.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
You would think they might have better success poaching customers from Samsung/Android.

Apple ecosystem is probably harder to leave once you're entrenched.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
"<sarcasm>People are into plastic!</sarcasm>"... and what are Nokia's phones made of? Oh yeah, that's right, plastic. Typical total lack of taste by MS. They've gone from saying "Windoze" or "Microsoft" every other word to not having any reference to them in their ads at all... Maybe they're trying to detach themselves from their stale brands.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I gotta agree with the ad. What the hell has Apple been doing the last 6 months? But unfortunately, the iPhone 5C/S will not flop. People will once again line up in droves. I don't understand it. They're not bad phones, but their not innovative.

Last edited by a moderator:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
That character they call "T" or Tim is clearly supposed to be Steve Jobs.

These ads are just dumb. Nothing clever about them. Now it's just getting bitter, vindictive, and desperate for Microsoft. It's sad really.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
They would have been better going the Samsung way saying "It doesn't matter what we make, it will still sell to the people who don't know any better" or something to that effect, now THAT would have been a stinger.

But I don't think Microsoft can afford to make these ads anymore :cool: how much did they lose off of the Surface?

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
microsoft dont understand that the original apples video are become already a parody.

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
Keep pushing Microsoft...

Keep pushing Microsoft and I'll never buy another one of your products...

ever...

I had considered an Xbone but after all of the controversy... nah...

I had considered a Surface but after a poorly designed and executed roll out... nah...

I had considered a Nokia Phone but after you bought them... on second thought... nah...

Keep it up losers...

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
More pathetic stuff from Microsoft. Do they realize how hard they're trying and failing?

As for people acting like the 5s was supposed to be something great, this is what Apple always does. The S series phones are usually spec bumps with one new feature that isn't anything must have or ground breaking. If the iPhone 6 isn't impressive next year, then they deserve some criticism.

befrank4444

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
LATE!
I mean, just sell your product on it's own. You'll never beat Apple!
Using Apple specifically shows how much of threat you think they are. Kinda sad.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wow these must be really bad if the MR mods are calling them questionable taste. :eek:

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Someone please save those videos before Microsoft takes then out. This will be useful to laugh at Microsoft's face for years.

#timetoswitchCreativeAgencies

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
That was one of the dullest parody videos I have ever seen! Even an amature could do better than that. Check YouTube for details Microsoft - looks like you need too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.