Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing development of its rumored larger-sized iPad and working with supplier Quanta Computer, reports Chinese site United Daily News (via Mac Otakara) [Google Translation]. The report from United Daily News refers to the larger tablet as a 12-inch device, but rumors from The Wall Street Journal suggest that Apple is actually testing an iPad that is closer to 13-inches diagonally.

News of a larger-sized iPad first surfaced in May, and was later confirmed in July. Such a tablet could be similar in size to Apple's 13-inch MacBook Air, as seen in renderings commissioned by MacRumors.

Click to see a larger version of the image.​

Quanta Computer is an Apple supplier responsible for Apple's current MacBook Airs and an unusual choice for tablet production as those devices are currently produced by suppliers like Foxconn and Pegatron. The report claims, however, that Quanta is aiming to diversify.

Apple is expected to release a new fifth-generation iPad and a second-generation iPad at an event that could take place in the October-November timeframe. The fifth-generation iPad is expected to take on an iPad mini-style design while the iPad mini will likely gain a Retina display.

Though an original report on the larger iPad suggested that it could launch early next year, there is no indication that such a timeframe is correct and it remains unclear if the device will make it to market at all.

Article Link: Apple May Be Working With Quanta Computer on Larger iPad

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Interesting. I wouldn't buy it, but I can certainly see it being of use to a lot of different people in various industries.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Just looking at it feels like I'm going to have it slip out of my hand and drop it at the first contact.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It'll probably be foldable, reguardless of whether or not it's Apple's intention. ;)

MNmbIQD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SBlue1

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
This would be sweet if apple actually made a tablet with full OSX. Why cant they make a rival to the Surface Pro(Not that it is a Much of a Rival) But They would sell the hell out of a 12" iPad running OSX... If that was the case....shut up and take my money:D

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Air with touchscreen would be better.

Try using a touchscreen laptop for a while and tell us how much it sucks pretty quick. Jobs even talked about the fatigue in one of his keynotes. Holding your arm up like that for extended periods is no fun which is why we haven't seen it in places like the iMac even though outside manufacturers have offered touchscreens for the iMac for years. http://www.trolltouch.com

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
\begin{sarcasm}
Will it still only show 9 apps at a time in a folder?
\end{sarcasm}

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
We won't see anything crazy this release cycle.

I wish we would see something crazy... all a bit too predicted for a company that supposedly "Doubles down" on security leaks... What happened to Surprise unveilings... Give us something. I know your Apple.... but three years of developing a damn TV and 2 years developing a watch is a bit ridiculous. Come on already

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I also would prefer a MacBook TouchAir ... At work I use a Lenovo Helix and wish it would run Mac OS X.
But hey, for home-based surfing and reading I would get a 12" iPad , too

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
This thing, and the class of device it represents, is obviously the real reason for the 64-bit transition in the A7.

People worry about the iOSification of Mac OS X, but it looks like Mac OS may just be gradually sidelined by devices like this bubbling up from the bottom.

DIRSGT

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
NC
Do you think the introduction of the 64 Bit chip in the iPhone 5s and the development of a larger tablet signal that Apple is closer than anyone to a unified OS across all platforms (i.e. phone, table, pc)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.