Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amiga Games today announced that it is planning to re-release some of its classic games for iOS later this year, "in time for the 2013 holiday season."

Originally introduced in the late 1980s, the Commodore Amiga PC offered a variety of 16-bit games. ranging from Captain Planet and Lemmings to Shadow of the Beast.

amiga.png
Amiga Games will customize its classic Amiga titles for Apple's iOS, including iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad devices, and will support Apple's upcoming iOS 7 game controllers. Amiga Games plans to release its titles for iOS in time for the 2013 holiday season.
Amiga Games does not specify which titles it will revive beyond a note suggesting the games will be customized for iOS, but the company's titles will include support for iOS 7 game controllers.

First introduced via an API at WWDC, Apple's upcoming Made for iPhone (MFi) controllers are expected to debut before the end of the year. Currently, multiple games have begun offering support for the controllers, and two potential prototypes have surfaced from Logitech and GameCase.

Article Link: Amiga Games Coming to iOS 7 Later This Year, Will Include Controller Support

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Unlikely they will publish many of the very good games. Most IPs are still owned by their respective owners or those who swallowed the companies.

Lemmings/Shadow of the Beast: Psygnosis, recently trademarked by Sony who own Psygnosis. Also, they announced a Shadow of the Beast remake exclusively for PS4.

Turrican is still owned by Factor 5, AFAIK.

Well, ain't nothing better than having the real hardware in the collection :)

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Unlikely they will publish many of the very good games. Most IPs are still owned by their respective owners or those who swallowed the companies.

Lemmings/Shadow of the Beast: Psygnosis, recently trademarked by Sony who own Psygnosis. Also, they announced a Shadow of the Beast remake exclusively for PS4.

Turrican is still owned by Factor 5, AFAIK.

Well, ain't nothing better than having the real hardware in the collection :)

Yeah lemmings got released on the psp.. Damn there goes a good one:(

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Wow, I used to love my Amiga games! Hope to see some of the ones I remember as being great.. though I wonder if I'd still think they were great today.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Lemmings would be great as would Carrier Command.

I adored my Amiga. I hope these ports will be accurate.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
No Psygnosis, no care. They are owned by Sony now I believe. :mad:

I think Sony are now becoming aware of the retro gamers. I can see quite a few classics making a comeback.

Check out the Shadow of the Beast reboot here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0s1AoK4j6M

Also, Black Forest Games created a reboot of Giana Sisters, which is now available on Steam and other platforms...

I have a good feeling about great IPs coming back! :D

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
So many good games from the Amiga. Sid Mier's Civilization, Lemmings, Sim City, Dune II, Worms, Wing Commander, Battle Chess, Mortal Kombat, and about 10 different pinball sims. And far more.

Some of those Amiga games might catch on someday with the PC crowd. :)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Why hasn't anyone made a Lemmings port for iOS yet? The iPad would be the PERFECT way to play that game.

Because Sony owns the IP and would only release that game on their own hardware, which has happened multiple times (PS3, PSP...)

ultradrummer

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
South Carolina
Amiga Memories

I spent many an hour competing in TV Sports Basketball & Football. Would like to see these again. Also, any of the CinemaWare games would be great.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Good news here from an Amiga fan.

I only hope this will replace all those developers that are just too lazy/moved on from porting Amiga games to iOS already..

Hate to say it, but if they can't keep on updating, then someelse will :). Bring this on

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
will i be able to load my own ADF images,
made myself from the BOXES and BOXES of amiga games i have

nope,

not interested then... ill run EUAE on the hacked PSP i have

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
So many good games from the Amiga. Sid Mier's Civilization, Lemmings, Sim City, Dune II, Worms, Wing Commander, Battle Chess, Mortal Kombat, and about 10 different pinball sims. And far more.

Some of those Amiga games might catch on someday with the PC crowd. :)

And here we have the whole problem of the announcement - most of those classics are not owned by Amiga Inc. (or whatever the right name of that company is currently).

Civ: Owned by 2k. Still active IP.
Lemmings: Owned by Psygnosis. Shows up on Sony hardware now and then.
Sim City, Dune, Wing Commander: Electronic Arts. Sim City is still active, Dune is MIA, Wing Commander is pretty much dead. At least Chris Roberts has recently raised over $20 Million (!) on Kickstarter and other sources for his new project "Star Citizen", which will come out on PC and probably other platforms sometime 2014 or later. So there is your chance to get a new Wing Commander-like experience!
Battle Chess: Dunno, EA too?
Mortal Kombat: Still active at Warner Brothers.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Beneath a steel sky (BASS) comes to mind..

Lemmings was never ported, but the equivilant Caveman is similar.

I just even image caveman floating down with umbrellas. The whole things seems un-natual. :confused:

The only good is is the *grunts* that comes from them.

Games to have :- Stunt car racer, Turrican series.. Shadow of the beast.

Battle Squadron exists already, as does Monkey island 1 and 2, and Flight of the Amazon Queen.all in the App Store :)

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Beneath a steel sky (BASS) comes to mind..

That license has been lifted, you can download the game for free at various sources. For example, you will receive Beneath A Steel Sky, Lure Of The Temptress and a few other games for free when you join gog.com...

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Would like to see Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe and M.U.L.E, but neither of these are Amiga brand games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.